2 questions about Coturnix Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jen5680, Sep 4, 2009.

1. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Ok I lied I have 3 questions,once you can see there little beak poke thru the egg is there a noraml amount of time it takes them to get out of the shell and at what age do they start to fly and is it mean to keep them in a cage indoors all the time? Dont' they need the fresh air?
    thanks.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Mine are 3 weeks old and a few are trying to fly. Silly little things..

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  3. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    I had one make a pip then took about 18 hours to get out.

They can decently fly at about a 10 days old.

Just because they fly doesn't mean you have to keep them indoors most people keep them outdoors in rabbit hutch styled cages or all wire cages that are very simple to make.

You should read this https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102281

4. ken429h

ken429h Out to Lunch

Jul 14, 2009
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Quote:I really think there are no less than 4 questions here, but I'm not counting [​IMG]

Let me answer #3 first. "Is it mean to keep them in a cage indoors all the time?". Absolutely YES! Realistically, NO!

#4 "Don't they need the fresh air?" YES! Every animal needs fresh air.

#1 " once you can see there little beak poke thru the egg is there a noraml amount of time it takes them to get out of the shell?" It depends, My normal amount of time from early pip to hatch is about 4 days. 14-18 days.

#2 "what age do they start to fly?" Well, this also depends, but they mature really fast, and depending on variables, like brooding techniques, feeding and the like....They can conceivably jump and fly over a 4 foot barrier at 10 days of age or maybe even less.
    That doesn't mean that they will do it, they just most likley can do it.
    You really have to brood them in a box with a top.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Edit follows.
    I forgot to ask if you were asking because you are thinking about raising some indoors. If that is the case, then yes you can.
    Also here is a great thread about coturnix quail. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102281

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by