2 questions Fodder only meal or not? and growing food for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SebashtionH, Jan 12, 2015.

1. SebashtionH

SebashtionH Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Spring Hill Florida
    OK I have been researching this a lot lately.... I am looking to have a way to not have to be tied to buying bagged food for chickens.
    I don't have my new chickens yet so I have time to get this figured out.

can you grow fodder with all the nutrients in it to be the only thing i feed my chickens (besides grit/oyster shells). what would be the mix of seeds to do this?

second Question I have room to grow food for chickens ( barley/wheat/ECT) what can I grow and how do I process it to feed it to chickens?

with both questions is I am looking to be self sufficient ( minus buying seeds) to feed my chickens

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Fodder alone will not supply enough calories, protein, vitamins and minerals to feed growing and producing chickens. It can be fed as a partial treat (a few ounces per hen per day). Remember that fodder is over 85% water so they have to eat over 1 2/3# to get enough calories (not even taking the protein, vitamin and mineral requirements into consideration). They physically can not eat that much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by