2 Roo's - 8 pullets - 5 hens....what to do?

Aug 8, 2023
I have read so many of the threads but am still so confused - I have an older flock of 5; bought 10 chicks (11 weeks old now) and 2 are Roo's - I love the sound of roosters and can have them where I live - one is a Wyandotte (already crowing) the other is an Easter Egger - at the moment, a massive pullet is the most aggressive of the group. I'm considering creating a bachelor pad for the two roos, and then integrating the pullets with my original flock. Is this the time to do this? What do the Roo's need? I can let them wander my yard outside of the pen, but how do I corral them at night? I'm concerned they will fly over the fence into the hens or go up in the trees. I can re-home a roo or two - but would rather not if possible. Thanks for any suggestions. I know I don't have enough hens for two Roos. At this point they are getting along but that may change in the spring.

Hi there. You actually might have enough girls with only two boys. Whether to keep them both will really depend on how well they get along and the amount of space you have. Either way, it’s likely you’d need two coops, one for each rooster and his girls. One roo would really be easier, especially if you keep your flock in a run.

The easiest way to integrate is chicks with older birds, around four to six weeks. At this stage the easiest way will be to give each group their own space with a fence between so they can all see each other and the littles won’t get hurt. When you fully integrate itself a good idea to keep an eye on everyone for a bit first. Having multiple feed and water areas is a good idea along with some stuff in the run. Chairs, buckets, plants, pieces of wood propped against a wall. It helps break line of sight so the littles get a break. Also, make sure there are no dead ends so nobody gets cornered and beat up as a result.

I would rehome one cockerel and keep the other. They may get along right now, because they were raised together, but they do until they don’t. One day they may love each other, and then the next one will try to kill the other. Two cockerels for thirteen girls is not a great ratio, either. The preferred number is one rooster for every 10-12 hens. A bachelor pad is possible, but they might fight even in that, especially if they can see the hens. It’s really up to you, though. If you want to keep both, you can put them all together and see how it shakes out, and if you free range them, there may be enough room for each cockerel to go about their business.

I would rehome one cockerel and keep the other. They may get along right now, because they were raised together, but they do until they don’t. One day they may love each other, and then the next one will try to kill the other. Two cockerels for thirteen girls is not a great ratio, either. The preferred number is one rooster for every 10-12 hens. A bachelor pad is possible, but they might fight even in that, especially if they can see the hens. It’s really up to you, though. If you want to keep both, you can put them all together and see how it shakes out, and if you free range them, there may be enough room for each cockerel to go about their business.
I think it more depends on the temperament of the birds and the housing situation. My son has several roosters with roughly six girls per and they all do fine. They aren’t locked in a run, which would be the deciding factor for me. Everyone can spread out and get away from each other and there’s plenty of stuff to block line of sight.

Hi there. You actually might have enough girls with only two boys. Whether to keep them both will really depend on how well they get along and the amount of space you have. Either way, it’s likely you’d need two coops, one for each rooster and his girls. One roo would really be easier, especially if you keep your flock in a run.

The easiest way to integrate is chicks with older birds, around four to six weeks. At this stage the easiest way will be to give each group their own space with a fence between so they can all see each other and the littles won’t get hurt. When you fully integrate itself a good idea to keep an eye on everyone for a bit first. Having multiple feed and water areas is a good idea along with some stuff in the run. Chairs, buckets, plants, pieces of wood propped against a wall. It helps break line of sight so the littles get a break. Also, make sure there are no dead ends so nobody gets cornered and beat up as a result.
Thank you for responding! They have been in a coop together with a wire divider and the littles have been in a run within the pasture - so lots of side by side since they were about 4 weeks old. The dead ends are my concern.

thank you - I think you are right. Best to rehome one...any idea who might have the better temperament in the future? Or is it a crap shoot? One is wyandotte and one is easter egger

I think it more depends on the temperament of the birds and the housing situation. My son has several roosters with roughly six girls per and they all do fine. They aren’t locked in a run, which would be the deciding factor for me. Everyone can spread out and get away from each other and there’s plenty of stuff to block line of sight.
Mine semi- free range - i have a run but they are let into the pasture all day with goats which is about an acre.

Mine semi- free range - i have a run but they are let into the pasture all day with goats which is about an acre.
In that kind of space two roosters could be ok. If you have the ability to break up the area a little with stuff even better. One roo is certainly easier no matter what, but it all depends on the flock and your space and what you want to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom