2 Roos, one flock...what to do?

tofumama

Songster
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
In the Shadow of a Mountain MA
Here is my back story...

I have 7 hens, who are about a year old now. One of my hens hatched out a few eggs, of which 2 we kept and ended up with a roo who was previously thought to be a hen. In the mean time, thinking the 2 babies were girls, I got an additional 4 'babies', one of which was a roo. I knew he was a roo, and did it purposely. My problem now is, I have 13 chickens and 2 Roos! They free range during the day on about an acre of land, and my coop is big enough for all of them comfortably (I could actually take another chick or 3 but I digress...) So far, Mr. MM, my cochin/RIR cross is extremely docile and friendly as is his mom. Sam, my other roo who is a lavender D'Uccle is also extremely sweet. Mr. MM has basically taken over the original 7 girls plus his 'sister' as his posse, and Sam has the 3 girls I got when I got him. They coexist quite nicely, all go in the coop at night and have all been in their enclosed run together with no issue. My question is...is this too good to be true? Is there going to be an issue with the 2 boys and it is just a matter of time? I would hate to rehome either one of them, but also don't want an issue... Mr MM is BIG, and Sam is quite petite, and I don't know if that is part of it...Mr MM never goes after Sam's girls, though I have seen Sam go after Mr. MM's but nothing went on between them.

I guess my concern is come winter, when they very possibly could be confined to their enclosed run due to snow, are they going to fight? Is it really inevitable, or can they live harmoniously since they both have their own girls?

Help?

I have 6 breeding age roosters that all free range with my girls, everyday. The girls move around amongst the Roos individual territories, and then at night everybody coops together in 3 seperate coops. I have noticed that there are 2 Roos per coop, and the two that pair up tend to hang out together during the day. Often it is a big one and a small one, but I do have two polish who are unrelated and different ages that have teamed up.

We never have any real fights, occasional face offs, and jumping about, but it ends quickly, with no harm done. During the winter, I watch to make sure some one isnt being kept from the feeders and water, but find I have more issue with the hens not wanting to come down than the roos!! So, I have built some shelves in each coop, and nailed cat food tins on the ends, and just keep a little food and water there to make sure every one gets thier share. I think it will be less of an issue this year, as I have built bigger covered winter runs, so there will be more snow free ground room for them to move around in.

I once feared as you do, and thought that you could only have one roo to a flock, but not anymore! Just keep an eye on them, and you will see they will work it out nicely! If someone does start having a problem, then well, you may have to re-home him. My first ever roo, didnt want to share much, but we had less hens then, and he was a bossy little banty!! Now he has his own flock at a friends and does great!

It is up to the individual roosters! You sound like you are going to be fine!
Good Luck!

I have about 20 hens and 4 roosters. They coexist, free range and I have few problems. I believe because they were broody raised it makes it better. There are times they peck at each other when one is mating, but I would not consider it fighting. When one mates a hen and the hen squawks, another roo comes over and pecks him off. My original roo is a 1 1/2 year old Blue Cochin and the others are a Blue Wheaton Ameraucana, a Blue Rock, and a mixed Silkie that are 25 weeks. The BW Ameraucana, Blue Rock, and mixed Silkie were raised together by my broody. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but they are somewhat congenial. I have several houses for them to sleep in, but of course they all like one. Only my cochin sleeps in another house with his favorite hen. The others sleep together. I do have a seperate flock of Buff Silkies with a couple of roosters, but they do not free range and are in an enclosure, but I've never seen fence fighting.

The mixed silkie I feel sorry for. My BW Ameraucana tries to mate with him all the time.
roll.png

I think it sounds like things will be ok. The little one has his girls, and the bigger one has his. I hatched out some chicks this year, and there are five--three girls and two boys. I think they get along because they grew up together. Popeye is clearly the dominant rooster, and Red is more quiet. They share the same coop and seem to be doing well. I do watch them though....if I see any rough stuff, I will probably get rid of Popeye because I just like Red better.

I'll add my vote to the others. I have had as many as 3 roosters and 15 hens and currently have 2 roosters and 12 hens. I recently raised 8 young roosters to butchering age in a flock with an older rooster. Many of the young roosters reached "mating" age before I offered them an invitation to my dinner table. I never had any serious problems. My set-up was a lot like yours, a bigger coop than I need and lots of space for them to free range on.

I find that roosters raised in the same flock, whether as brothers or in a father-son relationship, usually work out their differences without a whole lot of trouble. That is usually, not always. Things might change for you when their space becomes more confined this winter. But then, they may not. If you really want to keep both roosters, I'd suggest you try. You may have to rehome one this winter, but you may not.

Good luck!

Oh YAY!!!! Thank you everyone! I will keep an eye on them, but I am SO happy to hear that they will be ok! They are both very quiet roosters(another reason we love them both, lol) and I thought since they are both breeding age if there was going to be trouble there would have been. Neither really gets involved when the other is going at it
wink.png

YAY!
wee.gif

i have almost a 2:1 ratio (Hens:Roos) all in the same coop and have no problems. If I do see a problem I remove the trouble maker and let him freerange. I have 4 freeranging roos now. I for eating eggs, and the other 3 for picking on chicks.

i have 2 roos and 12 hens and 3 guineas(2 males,1 female) and they main roo is the dominent guy in there. no fighting between the roos yet but that may be because the 2nd roo is younger and hasnt starting challenging the main roo. when the younger roo gets brave he will loose so i dont think the fight will last long if there is a fight.i have no problems up to this point so far.

my step grandfather has 20 roos and 30 or so hens and they all free range together and all have there own little posses.(sp?)
not very much fighting. suprislingly.

Last edited:
I have a OEG banty roo right now, and am interested in getting a standard BO with the new hens I am getting soon. I am just wondering if you think the BO will hurt/kill my banty roo. I am also wondering if the number of roos makes a difference. Like if you had 7 roos instead of just 2 that they would learn to get along. Thanks or the input!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I think your OEg is likely to keep going until he kills the BO roo or gets killed himself. OEG have a reputation for not accepting another rooster in the flock. They are living things and anything can happen, but I'd expect your Banty OEG to kill the BO before he reaches full growth. The OEG will be quick and determined. The BO will be big, slow, clumsy and immature. Advantage, OEG.

Back
Top Bottom