2 Roosters With Mystery Leg Problems

thailand

Crowing
12 Years
Hi. I have 2 roosters from different flocks, but they share a divided coop. Both boys have a leg problem. The Barred Plymouth Rock has had lice and does currently have scaly leg mites which are being treated with sulphur/Vaseline mix on his legs almost nightly for the last week. He always holds his leg up now, but he can put pressure on it and walk. He has also had a course of Cydectin dropped on the back of his neck, under his wings and on his legs.

Rooster no. 2, a young Australorp has had a "bent" leg for a number of weeks now. (I've drawn an arrow showing which way the leg is permanently bent). He is now preferring to sit a lot, but also can put pressure on it and walk. I've tried a course of complex vit B down his throat daily for weeks. That didn't help. Both boys have just finished a course of Tylan...didn't help. There is no sign of Bumblefoot or any other external injury. Both boys are mostly hanging by themselves these days. I'm perplexed about what to try next. Advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220508_130132.jpg
    20220508_130132.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220508_130159.jpg
    20220508_130159.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 5
Have you checked for bumble foot on the barred, and the australorp I would suggest taking to a vet, looks broken or dislocated, how stiff is the leg on AL?

Thanks. Yes I have checked for Bumblefoot...can't see anything. He never sleeps on a roost at night so I don't think its that kind of an injury. It's got me really puzzled.

The leg on the Australorp doesn't appear stiff, he can bend it to walk and sit down. I'm thinking he must have jumped down from the roost wrong. I've tried gently moving that leg and he doesn't complain or struggle when I do that. I've felt all the way up the leg, checked if the ligament was perhaps out of the groove but that appears to be ok too. I can't 'feel' anything wrong. I crossed out rickets being the problem because his beak is not soft and bendy, it's normal.

I've just been out and soaked the BPR roosters feet. Please see the photo below...and I took a video also to show how he can still move his leg, and another one showing him walking. Thoughts please?

Attachments

• 20220509_141012.jpg
    20220509_141012.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220509_141024.jpg
    20220509_141024.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom