2 sick chickens, but strangely so....

amiachickenorwat

Hatching
Jan 8, 2024
....cuz it's as if their legs were taken out from underneath them. They still have their legs, but they're just laying there, as if recuperating. So in case they were infectious I took them out to our greenhouse. Also because if they're on the bottom of the pecking order then they're just beaten down, losing the will to live, without an accepting flock. One had like a bloody nose and saw another bird peck at this seemingly sick bird, so initially that's all i thought it was, but since another bird now, like two days later is exhibiting similar I wonder if they're ill. Yet both breathed OK, so doesn't seem a respiratory problem. Much Thanks, Nick

How old are the chickens, how many roosters to hens, and how much room do they have? Do they get outside to roam every day? Have they always been together, or have you added any new birds? Any pictures of how they are lying down? Are they close to food and water?

Last edited:
How old are the chickens, how many roosters to hens, and how much room do they have? Do they get outside to roam every day? Have they always been together, or have you added any new birds? Any pictures of how they are lying down? Are they close to food and water?
Good sized coop, comparatively, to our neighbours & for the amount of birds, seems few for its size. With almost 30 hens we do have 4 roosters. A friend of mine calls them roasters. Maybe that's a hint to my problem. Maybe these two hens were just run off their feet. Except one has died on a night that wasn't so cold as just below freezing now. I put the remaining one in our relatively open, but still sheltered greenhouse, cradled in dry straw within her reach is electrolyted water and some layer pellets.

Thanks for the welcome and Happy New Year to y'all. Nick

Back
Top Bottom