2 sick chickens, different symptoms

Mamahenof3

Chirping
Jun 1, 2020
Ok this is gonna be long.
I had a chicken, (Easter egger about 6months old) with a very messy butt, suspected vent gleet. Got all the stuff together to separate and treat her, checked out the rest of the flock, no one else looked like they had any issues except one other one (3 year old amber link) that looked a little languid. But clean behind on her.
Got the messy one to a tub, while washing her realized it was not gleet but prolapse. She had no other symptoms, acted normally, eyes, feet, comb waddle very healthy. Feathers good. Eating drinking well…
Cleaned her up, gently assisted her parts back together, separated her and tried to treat her. She continued to look and act normal over the next couple of days, she even layed 2 eggs, but with everything we were doing her vent contued to prolapse despite me guiding it back in a couple times a day. So we decided we had to cull her.
That was yesterday. SO since my attention was focused mainly on her, I missed how sick my other chicken (the amber link looked)
My older girls (about 3) have not been laying a lot lately, we have gone right from a heat wave to molting season, so I was not worried by it. The amber link has not been laying, and has not been roosting, she has slept on the floor of the coop for the last few nights. Like I said, cause my attention was not on her, I figured she was just going through an uncomfortable molt. But I went out to sit with them this morning to assess her closer and she is really listless.
She doesn’t move around much, stands hunched with her head down, eyes closed a lot. I picked her up to look her over and she is really thin.
she did eat when I let her out this morning, I was not able to see her poop in the time i was out there. She has no respiratory symptoms. Comb and waddle have shrunk but are still pink. Eyes are clear. Feet look good. Vent feathers had poop but I figured that was from sleeping on the ground because her backside was clean last night. Vent looked whiter and more tightly closed than normal.
I have no idea what it could be. It seems unlikely to have 2 birds with completely separate issues but their symptoms are so different.
Please tell me someone has some insight!

Attachments

• 642E3A7D-D83B-4BB1-B866-BCB2C36A0060.jpeg
    642E3A7D-D83B-4BB1-B866-BCB2C36A0060.jpeg
    952 KB · Views: 7
Sorry for your loss. A prolapse can take awhile to stay in in some hens. Each case is different. With your new sick bird, she could be weak because she has been molting. That is always a time of weakness. They eat less, are listless and standoffish, and do not like to be handled. I would feel of her crop to check if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy. And then check it again in early morning to make sure that it has emptied overnight. Now, though, offer her water and a bit of cooked egg and some wet chicken feed. Tuna or canned cat food are usually accepted. A boost of Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell 2 ml would be good for electrolytes and vitamins.

Has she been laying eggs recently or had any egg issues? Can you check her for egg binding by inserting a clean finger into her vent about 2 inches? Reproductive infection, cancer, and crop problems are some common things to look for. Check her for lice and mites as well. What do her droppings look like?

Sorry for your loss. A prolapse can take awhile to stay in in some hens. Each case is different. With your new sick bird, she could be weak because she has been molting. That is always a time of weakness. They eat less, are listless and standoffish, and do not like to be handled. I would feel of her crop to check if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy. And then check it again in early morning to make sure that it has emptied overnight. Now, though, offer her water and a bit of cooked egg and some wet chicken feed. Tuna or canned cat food are usually accepted. A boost of Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell 2 ml would be good for electrolytes and vitamins.

Has she been laying eggs recently or had any egg issues? Can you check her for egg binding by inserting a clean finger into her vent about 2 inches? Reproductive infection, cancer, and crop problems are some common things to look for. Check her for lice and mites as well. What do her droppings look like?
She’s not been laying but she is molting. She does look like she may have mites… her poop is very watery. She is still wasting and drinking. Just standing still a lot and moving slower than the rest when walking around. I’m going to dust them all and give strike III for worms… have been adding electrolytes and vitamins to their water.
I’ll also give some tuna for a treat and see how she does over the next couple of days

What Mama is describing is nearly identical to what I was seeing in Who when I first came home from La.

Back
Top Bottom