2 sister....different color eggs?

Saltysunshine79

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
So I adopted two beautiful Americaunas. They have the beard and ear muffs and big beautiful eyes. When I adopted them the owners said they had never laid before. They were old enough, but they were under the impression the neighbors dog had stressed them out so much they never laid. So within a few weeks of bringing them in to my flock one started laying. A gorgeous blue egg!! I was so excited because I had every other color of the rainbow, but blue. However her sister began laying about a week later and her is a cream color. I'm confused. Is this normal? Two sisters laying different color eggs?

So I adopted two beautiful Americaunas. They have the beard and ear muffs and big beautiful eyes. When I adopted them the owners said they had never laid before. They were old enough, but they were under the impression the neighbors dog had stressed them out so much they never laid. So within a few weeks of bringing them in to my flock one started laying. A gorgeous blue egg!! I was so excited because I had every other color of the rainbow, but blue. However her sister began laying about a week later and her is a cream color. I'm confused. Is this normal? Two sisters laying different color eggs?
Can you post pics of them?

but an easter egger or "Americauna" can carry a brown laying gene. It isn't uncommon for them to lay a brown, green tinted, blue, or pinkish egg.
Basically......
There are only white and blue shells.
Brown eggs have brown coating on white shells.
Green eggs have brown coating on blue shells.
The brown coating can be very light or very dark, and can vary day to day.
Then the bloom can add another aspect to the egg color.
Pink/purplish eggs are from the bloom on a brown egg.

Back
Top Bottom