2 Small (fairy) egg this week

Mbrady71

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2019
I found a small(fairy/fart egg outside the coop door right after I let the girls outside. I thought maybe it was a wild bird egg. I have a bird house near the area. It was the color of my hens eggs so it made think twice. I Wasn't sure about it and dismissed the issue. That was last week. Today another small egg found in the nest box. I have a mixed flock 10 hens 1 rooster. 3 hens are 5 years old and the rest are 2 years old. I have been getting an egg from everyone. The occasional egg issue here and there. Double yolk ( I egg had 5 in 1), a thin shell, but those are rare. I expect an odd egg once in awhile.
Is something I should be concerned about? I don't know if it's one hen or more then one hen. One fairy egg is darker than the other.
If it was a one time deal I wouldn't even ask but 2 within a week? Asking for your opinion and thoughts. They eat kalmbach Layer feed
Snacks from me are strawberries, blueberries if I have extra, meal worms scratch, and some wild bird seed (Not all at once) that is just the snacks if I spoil them once in awhile. Another question I have is should I give supplement like chicken elixir or vitamins. They have open oyster shell and grit at all time and free range when I can keep an eye on them.
Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• 17110687326508389694692683063476.jpg
    17110687326508389694692683063476.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 14
The fairy eggs come from two different hens, hence the different colors.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's likely several of the older gals. Their egg production gets pretty funky the older they get. As long as it is the occasional, I wouldn't worry.

If you start seeing the flock as a whole, however, then I would expect a viral condition going through.

Time will tell.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom