2 too aggressive roos

jtdiehl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
New York
I need help here! I have two six-month old roosters. They do not seem aggressive towards me yet, but they are really tearing my older hens up. These boys are out of control! They have my hens (minus their surrogate mother hen) all upset and stressed out. Everyday, they brutally attack the girls, ripping their feathers out, making them scream. I have had to intervene on several occasions, and even had to put one of my hens in a coop by herself so she can get some strength back.
Will these boys change, or are they destined for the soup pot? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks...

I have to ask about the ratio of hens per rooster....and then are both roosters in with the same hens. Maybe it is competition. Maybe you don't have enough hens.

I have never thought my roosters were too rough on the girls. Even the one that is in a pen with only five girls. And only two are hens. Three are pullets....he is waiting on them to grow up I think....lol. But even the two hens he does breed....he just is not rough on them.

So...maybe your fella have no technique yet??? And maybe they are competing.

i agree, it could have something to do with your rooster/hen ratio.
If you have some room and dont want to butcher them right away, you might try putting them in their own cages with their own hens so they can establish a thier own 'herds'. I've noticed if you introduce new chickens to a herd, sometimes the rooster(s) will chase the new chickens out of his herd esp if there is roo. It be like quarintining new animals from your herd so they can get used either other without hurting each other. Then when you let them back out, mayb they won't tear up each other or their hens.

My friend pulled out her roo's tail feathers to stop him from chasing her grand kids. idk if with help them from attacking other chickens.

I know that there is a good roo to hen ratio but based on my limited experience I am not sure that there isn't more to it than that. I have 2 White Leghorn roosters with 3 White Leghorn hens. One of the hens hatched chicks out last week and is separated in a brooding coop with the chicks. Another White Leghorn hen is currently brooding on some free range eggs. That leaves a 2 to 1 roo to hen ratio. The remaining girl is fine and not being aggravated by the 2 roos in the least. Maybe I just got lucky with Kyle and Kurt.

they sound like freezer camp might be a good idea. If they are stressing out the flock. Or send one to campandkeepthe lessaggressive one.

Quote:
X2 Looking at your ratio it looks like you have one too many roosters. I have read on threads that "teenage" roos might mellow out as they get older but it might not happen if you have both roos competing for the same small amount of hens. IMO

Unfortunately, these two are the only ones left from my hatch this summer. I lost 2 to a raccoon, and lost two of my adult ladies to an unknown predator. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take extreme measures with them, but seeing that there are only three adult hens, I think I need to get rid of these boys. Also, I am pretty sure that one of them attacked one of my new babies (almost 3 months old) and scalped her today! YIKES! I think I will be posting them "FREE" to anyone who wants them.

Back
Top Bottom