2-topic Thread: Plastic Red Incubator Plugs and their Purpose?/Hatching Blue-scaled Quail Eggs

Quails1

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2015
There are 2 topics in this thread; 1 regards the incubator's vent plugs and their usage, and the second speaks up about my quails' eggs (blue-scaled quail) not hatching and also how long it really takes for new-world quails to hatch.

INCUBATOR'S PLUGS: Now I'm going to need some help here. There are 2 red, plastic plugs that seal each vent on top of the incubator. What do I use them for? Do I unplug them and leave it like that? Or do I leave them on? Some will say that those plugs help to regulate humidity, some say they regulate oxygen intake, and some assume both. Some might say that the plugs don't matter, while I've heard of those say that they're very important and must remain unplugged and/or sealed shut during hatching, or during the entire incubation process (including hatching).

QUAILS' EGGS: I'm using a Little Giant incubator with 13 blue-scaled quail eggs. The date I posted this (Jul 15) marks day 27 of incubation. I put the eggs in on June 18. But, the eggs are still not hatching. I've heard of one whose bobwhite quail's eggs took 28 days to hatch. How long did it take for your quail (New-world quail) eggs to hatch? Please help!

The red plugs regulate humidity and oxygen. Honestly, I usually leave mine out the whole time, because I lost them a some time ago. If I'm struggling to get humidity up, I put a quarter over them. Sometimes they're out the entire time, other times the holes are covered the whole time. It really depends on the conditions your incubator is kept in.

Admittedly, I've never hatched quail, so I'm not much help there. What is the estimated incubation time for blue scale quail?

Which model LG are you using? Did you calibrate your hygrometer(s) and thermometer(s) before you got started? Is it still or forced air? I'll say one thing, if you're using the newer 9300, that thing is crap. I have one, and I despise it. The temp readout is more than 3 degrees off and the humidity readout never changes, no matter how much water is or isn't in it. And the temperature varies 2-3 degrees from one side to the other in mine. LG missed the mark on that one, and just about everyone who's posted about hatching in there's has had bad luck.

I'll wait for more info and hopefully a quail hatcher will pop by and answer those quail questions in the mean time :)

The red plugs regulate humidity and oxygen. Honestly, I usually leave mine out the whole time, because I lost them a some time ago. If I'm struggling to get humidity up, I put a quarter over them. Sometimes they're out the entire time, other times the holes are covered the whole time. It really depends on the conditions your incubator is kept in.
You really got me confused now.
Admittedly, I've never hatched quail, so I'm not much help there. What is the estimated incubation time for blue scale quail?
According to what I've read, hatching charts speculate that it takes 22-23 days for the eggs to hatch, but mine are not hatching, and it's now day 28 of incubation.
Which model LG are you using? Did you calibrate your hygrometer(s) and thermometer(s) before you got started? Is it still or forced air? I'll say one thing, if you're using the newer 9300, that thing is crap. I have one, and I despise it. The temp readout is more than 3 degrees off and the humidity readout never changes, no matter how much water is or isn't in it. And the temperature varies 2-3 degrees from one side to the other in mine. LG missed the mark on that one, and just about everyone who's posted about hatching in there's has had bad luck.
I'm not sure of what my Little Giant's model is, but I did certainly test the humidity and temperature before I put the eggs into the forced-air incubator. What makes you say? Are the LGs bad brands? If so, what is a better brand? Hovabator?
I'll wait for more info and hopefully a quail hatcher will pop by and answer those quail questions in the mean time
smile.png

Last edited:
The red plugs are for ventilation. Some use them for humidity, but IMHO that is not a super good idea. You can end up with weak hatchlings if you leave them in for too long, especially w/ a full bator used in a hands-off way. I tossed mine. It isn't worth stressing over..... Like the previous poster said, it depends on climate.

And yes, LG is not a good brand. They are known as the incubator everyone loves to hate. 9200 is workable. I agree that 9300 and up is trash. I do like my 9200, but for every sucess story is 5 stories of heartbreak. Pretty much anything is an upgrade from a LG..... For storebought, Brinsea is terrific, if you can afford it. The hova-bator is okay. If you don't mind taking a bit of time, you can make DIY bators for under $50 that rival Brinsea.

Last edited:
The red plugs are for ventilation. Some use them for humidity, but IMHO that is not a super good idea. You can end up with weak hatchlings if you leave them in for too long, especially w/ a full bator used in a hands-off way. I tossed mine. It isn't worth stressing over..... Like the previous poster said, it depends on climate.
Okay, so you're saying it doesn't really matter much for the vent plugs, right? Because for the entire incubation, I left them on the entire time. And during that time, I didn't really know their purpose.
And yes, LG is not a good brand. They are known as the incubator everyone loves to hate. 9200 is workable. I agree that 9300 and up is trash. I do like my 9200, but for every sucess story is 5 stories of heartbreak. Pretty much anything is an upgrade from a LG..... For storebought, Brinsea is terrific, if you can afford it. The hova-bator is okay. If you don't mind taking a bit of time, you can make DIY bators for under $50 that rival Brinsea. So now I have been informed that LG is a bad brand. Is Hovabator and Brinsea better brands? If so, which of the 2 would you recommend more?

Yes. I am saying that vent plugs are one of the things no two hatchers can agree upon.... So it can't be that set in stone, lol.

Brinsea for sure!!

Yes. I am saying that vent plugs are one of the things no two hatchers can agree upon.... So it can't be that set in stone, lol.

Brinsea for sure!!

Nailed it!

Quails1, I'd definitely recommend reading through the Hatching 101 thread. It contains everything you could possibly want to know about incubating (and some stuff you probably don't too :p ).

Good luck!

Yes. I am saying that vent plugs are one of the things no two hatchers can agree upon.... So it can't be that set in stone, lol. Interesting. So they are not rock-hard rules?

Brinsea for sure!! Okay! I'll convince my parents! Hey, I'm turning 15 this 22nd (6 days from this point)!

Nailed it!

Quails1, I'd definitely recommend reading through the Hatching 101 thread. It contains everything you could possibly want to know about incubating (and some stuff you probably don't too
tongue.png
).

Good luck!
X2

Yes. I am saying that vent plugs are one of the things no two hatchers can agree upon.... So it can't be that set in stone, lol. Interesting. So they are not rock-hard rules?

Brinsea for sure!! Okay! I'll convince my parents! Hey, I'm turning 15 this 22nd (6 days from this point)!
There are no rock-hard rules. I have even seen arguments over which temp to run.... Ask 5 different hatchers and you'll get 5 different answers. There are some general guidelines though that will usually give the best results.

Good.

Back
Top Bottom