2 Way Radio - Hoping to Stop Cackling - My Story!!!

chuckzoo

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Yea, I've officially lost it! So hears my story. I have two BRs now one year old. When Sally goes into the coop to lay Daisy just goes crazy and starts to cackle for 30 mins on end. We are very close to the neighbors and if the noise wakes me, it certainly has to wake the neighbors. Someone suggested that chickens do not like to be out of sight from one another so I went out and bought a mirror so Daisy would think there was another chicken present. Well, it worked for a little bit to distract her but then I guess she got used to it and started cackling again.

Today I went out looking for an intercom system that I could put near the run so I could talk to her and hopefully get her to quieten down. Too expensive, so I ended up with a two way radio - please people, keep your fingers crossed that this works!

fl.gif

Thanks!

I have the one radio next to my bed and the other in the run. When she starts cackling tomorrow morning I will give her a good talking to!

Howabout locking them in the coop together until a more reasonable time? If you're worried about waking people up, just don't let them out until 9 or 10 in the morning. Most people are at school or work well before then anyway, but even the late-sleepers could get their beauty sleep.

Nope! It didn't work, she was a little quieter but still cackled! She quietened down when I let her out to free range, but I don't like to let them out that early because I'm afraid a hawk or cat will get them if I can't keep an eye on them.

I don't have food and water in my coop, they only sleep in there, so if I lock them in they won't be able to eat/drink until late.

LOL! Good try!

I have two that are "talkers". I often worry about my neighbors getting annoyed, but we asked them prior to getting our chickens if they were ok with it. If we can put up with their chihuahuas, they can put up with our chickens!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom