2 week chick have started diarreha droppings

alalele

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Livingston Parish, LA
What usually causes wet droppings in chicks? Aside from keeping food/water bins clean is there anything else to fix it? I feed my rabbit a tablespoon of raw quick oats and that does the trick. What works for chicks?

Update: It has cleared up tonight. I switched from papertowels to wood chips after sanitizing everything and they spent some time in a small outdoor run.. back to normal now.

Last edited:
Glad to hear they are back to normal !! I was just thinking about you/them the other day !! So everyone is doing good ??

Quote:
chicks having loose or wet droppings again this am... they act healthy and happy otherwise

swtangel how are you? they are so sweet. just took some new pics and video this am. will post soon. i'm typing one handed with my bunny in my left arm
big_smile.png

When my chicks were very young the poop was runny but as they got older it stopped. The poop site cited in the above post is great.

Quote:
chicks having loose or wet droppings again this am... they act healthy and happy otherwise

swtangel how are you? they are so sweet. just took some new pics and video this am. will post soon. i'm typing one handed with my bunny in my left arm
big_smile.png

Doing ok, have a cold so kind of stinks !! I think what you are seeing is normal even big chickens do this. What are you feeding them ? Any treats ? Any blood in the poop ?

Cant wait to see pics !!!

Did that site help at all ??

Last edited:
Wow! Great site of poo! I'm glad to see how wide the range of Normal is!

And yes... no blood, no worms.. just runny poo... and they are healthy and active otherwise. I've bookmarked the site, thanks!

Swtangel.. hope you feel better soon! I took lots of the Walmart brand of Airborne, orange flavor... and used the zinc swabs in same aisle and it helps shorten the cold. That and lots of rest if that's possible for you... good luck..!

When I get to my laptop I'll post another small video that shows them off pretty well. I'm kind of worried if I have two roo's... cause I want to keep at LEAST one.... but I keep thinking at least one is pullet. (fingers crossed)

Thanks ya'll... signing off as over-protective chick mommy
wink.png

Quote:
Oh.. and your question Gritsar.. um... it's been normal... then runny, then normal... repeat.. but they seem to be on the same schedule. And i'd never heard of cecal poo for chickens before... I knew rabbits have it (though I rarely witness it). Thanks so much! I just wanted to make sure they weren't 'getting' sick or something...

Quote:
I wish I could just take anything I wanted, I'm a huge fan of nite-quil when sick. It works charms for sleeping BUT, i'm 8 months preggo and theres not much over the counter stuff us preggo's can take. Im on antis (2nd set now) so soon i hope, soon. Better get better before labor (awww man that would stink)

Anyway, sorry for my random rambling... I'm sure you will get at lease one hen and one rooster
fl.gif
fl.gif
unless your un lucky like me then you will end up with 7 roosters and 1 hen (woo-hoo)

Well, ill keep my eye out for the pics !!

Back
Top Bottom