2 week egg bound!!!

Sbuttress

Chirping
May 8, 2020
Sydney Australia
Hi my chicken was bullying a other one so I've had her separated. In that time she has become egg bound. I gave her a bath and calcium and still she hasn't laid the egg, there is nothing else that seems to be wrong with her only that she keeps not laying. She stopped eating and drinking 5 days ago and I don't know what else to do. No vets around and im worried if I try myself I will break the egg.

I am sorry you having this experience. You reported that you have provided her with calcium and have given her a bath without any luck.
What dose of Calcium did you give her and when and how many??
What type of bath did you give her, when, how any times and for how long did she soak?
What exactly are you feeding her?
Can you check her abdomen and compare it with your other girls?
Is she passing stool? If so, please send us a picture.
Is she lethargic and how is she acting?
I know these are a lot of questions but, this is only to better help you. Send any pictures you may have. Thank you

I am sorry you having this experience. You reported that you have provided her with calcium and have given her a bath without any luck.
What dose of Calcium did you give her and when and how many??
What type of bath did you give her, when, how any times and for how long did she soak?
What exactly are you feeding her?
Can you check her abdomen and compare it with your other girls?
Is she passing stool? If so, please send us a picture.
Is she lethargic and how is she acting?
I know these are a lot of questions but, this is only to better help you. Send any pictures you may have. Thank you
I have been giving her shell grit along with calcium pills crushed up in the food but shes not touching it anymore. Every 2 days I've been giving her baths for 20mins in epsom salt and massaging the area

She is very lethargic and now she's falling asleep in the water bowl. Its like she's given up and I can't do anything , I gave her a dark place and she sat down I thought she was going to lay but she just keeps closing her eyes. Very watery stool which I cleaned up but she doesn't even preen herself now.

Attachments

• PXL_20200925_040938765.jpg
    PXL_20200925_040938765.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200920_163943.jpg
    IMG_20200920_163943.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 6
I've been feeding just grit calcium and layer pellets , she's 2 years old. She stopped laying cause she was molting then laid a couple and then she was bullying the other chicken so I sperated her and she stopped laying and hadn't laid since then went back to the flock laid and then stopped and then got sick

How long has she been egg bound or have you actually felt an egg?, they will die within 48 hours if they cant pass anything. If her crop still has stuff in it after not eating for days she has a crop problem.

Hi my chicken was bullying a other one so I've had her separated. In that time she has become egg bound. I gave her a bath and calcium and still she hasn't laid the egg, there is nothing else that seems to be wrong with her only that she keeps not laying. She stopped eating and drinking 5 days ago and I don't know what else to do. No vets around and im worried if I try myself I will break the egg.
she's 2 years old. She stopped laying cause she was molting then laid a couple and then she was bullying the other chicken so I sperated her and she stopped laying and hadn't laid since then went back to the flock laid and then stopped and then got sick
Her crop is really soft but she hasn't eaten for days
Can you feel an egg inside the vent?
Is she pooping? What's that like?

If she's been like this for 5 days, then she's not "egg bound". It's possible an egg could be higher in the oviduct or possibly has dropped into the abdomen. What does her abdomen feel like below the vent between the legs?

She is likely having reproductive problems - internal laying, peritonitis, cancer, etc.
The crop being soft even when she's not eaten for days - she also has a crop problem which is a common symptom in hens with reproductive issues.

I would see if I could get her hydrated. Start with giving her coconut oil first, then proceed to treat for Sour Crop as outlined in the link below. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you for that advice. Unfortunately she didn't make it. I knew she wasn't going to when she stopped drinking and eating and when I tried to force her something she just turned away :( surprised she made it this far. But it's like she just gave up in the end

Back
Top Bottom