2 week old chick stopped eating

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I have a 2 week old chick. she's just sitting there and panting but not eating. I gave her some water and yogurt and I think she pooped and it was clear like water. I seperated her and she hasn't moved from the spot I set her down in. Her head is down and she panting/breathing hard.
I got 24 mixed breeds on 2/25, Picked them up immdediately and they seemed to be doing ok.
till this.
I just e-mailed ideal and told terri how good they were doing.
her crop feels empty. I've seen this sort of thing w/ guinea pigs and it was hopeless once they stopped eating.

Well I have another chick that showing the same symptoms as the first. Different breed though and different brooder box. I noticed a whistling sound about a day ago. I finally fiqured out which chick it is. She seems to be breathing fast like the other. Her body going up and down. she's up and walking. her tail feathers goin up and down like. Any Ideas

The first chick I gave some yogurt and water as much as I could and of course seperated her. She lived through the night and there is poop in the box. She doesn't seem as stressed as she was. But not active either. Mostly sleeping like.This can't be the first time these symptoms have been seen.
Any Ideas

I had one like that. I put her on a heating pad with an old pillow case on it. She pooped on it too, but wouldn't eat or drink. I tried a dropper and dipping her beak in water and electrolytes, to no avail. She still died. She came from Ideal.

Well here's the update.
chick #1 I put in a box by herself. gave her water and yogurt w/ eye dropper. she has her own waterer w/sugar and her own feed. No lite but she is on the floor near a heater. Room is 85 w/o lite. She slept a lot but I tended to her a few times and it looked like she was eating. She did have a few good poops. One was all clear but that was when I first started w/ the water. Her breathing isn't as labored and she seems to be sleeping alot still. She isn't fighting as much as before or trying to get away so maybe she's just getting used to me. at least I hope that's it.

I had no where else to put chick#2 so I treated all in her bin w/ yogurt. I did clean everyones bin, I have three. gave all fresh water w/ sugar. Chick # 2 isn't " whistleing" anymore though she is still breathing fast. She was always active and eating.

Was recommended to give pedialite so all have that for now. Will put back on water tomorrow. so that's it for now.

I had one like that, but not with the whistling sound. Very sleepy and gasping for air it seemed. We gave olive oil with a dropper and massaged her throat for like an hour. After about 5 hours of worrying she would die she recovered and is nearly just like the others. She seems a little slower than the rest, but just as happy and busy as everyone else. Eating and drinking and pooping real good. I never thought I would see the day when I would be happy about how a chicken's poo looked. hee hee hee... I will be thinking positive thoughts for your little ones that they all recover and are healthy once again!!!
smile.png

I had a chick that whistled when it breathed. It would gasp for air with its mouth open. It would also shake its head like it was trying to clear its nose and make a little squeak when it did this. He also continued to eat and drink between the gasping and sleeping. It spread to 15 of my 29 silkie chicks within a week. I have put them all on 800 mg of tetracycline for 12 days so far and they are doing better. The one that was the sickest is even back to normal all except for the fact he is still very small.
idunno.gif
Good luck, if I saw it was spreading I would look into some sort of treatment for the flock.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I thought I could deal with this and I am. I take it as a personal affront when I lose in these situations.
Well the first chick is back w/ her cell mates. She slept a great deal since it all began. This morning she had gotten out of her box and was running around w/ another who got out. I expect to have the carpet in the office cleaned and my wife hasn't had a stroke about poop on the carpet. She is breathing normally thank God. The chick not my wife
smile.png

The second is now by her self as she is whistleing again and again only when she is sleeping. But she is breathing fast. I will get some tetracycline tomorrow and treat her and everyone that was w/ her though she is the only one showing symtoms. is that good? or should I just treat her? I'll keep you posted and thanks again.
Rancher

Well here is an update. 1st chick still w/ her cell mates seems ok and I don't know which one she is since she has 2 sisters.
2nd chick is chirping away. I fed her yogurt and medicated feed. She just jumped out of the box. It does have a cover but she got through the opening. Its' hard to explain.
I never got the terimycin. I'm trying to keep her quite for one more day. I've been feeding her by hand though she is eating and drinking by herself. That's it. I hope all goes well.
rancher

I am not a pro but if they have a cold, my book says to give them crushed garlic or to put garlic powder in their water.
I am glad they're doing better though. The symptoms you describe I observed when mine were too hot for a while. They just slept and slept. And panted. So maybe taking her away from the heater did the trick? I guess it doesn't matter what it was as long as they're both better....

Back
Top Bottom