2 week old chick walks on hocks. Eating and drinking ok. Not as big as other chicks.

S/he's still alive. They’re around four-five months old. They move around and eat and drink without issue. I do have to feed separately so that I know they get enough. They were given to me by a woman when they were about two months old and she thought it was splayed leg. This chicken is developing slower which is why I still don’t know if it’s a boy or girl. I never thought of culling them because for one I genuinely never thought of that and probably couldn’t bring myself to do it, and two, they seem relatively happy. I’ll find them in different places whether it’s in the barn or outside in the grass. They do however tend to hide a lot since we have several large chickens and this is a slow-developing silkie. But it’s been really interesting watching them learn to walk and stand with their good leg. Despite the deformation, they get around fairly easily.

So my chick chirps a lot when I isolate it, but seems to not chirp much when s/he is with the other chicks. The other chicks just got sent outside recently to live in the outside coop. I didn't think this one was ready seeing that it couldn't walk well so it's still inside with me. I do find it in different places in the area I have it tho so it is trying to move around. I'm tying the legs together and hoping that will help....perhaps I didn't give it enough time before?

So my chick chirps a lot when I isolate it, but seems to not chirp much when s/he is with the other chicks. The other chicks just got sent outside recently to live in the outside coop. I didn't think this one was ready seeing that it couldn't walk well so it's still inside with me. I do find it in different places in the area I have it tho so it is trying to move around. I'm tying the legs together and hoping that will help....perhaps I didn't give it enough time before?

From what I read, valgus is a Vitamin deficiency. Maybe give them some extra vitamins to try and stop it where it is?

Give some riboflavin or B2 which is in human vitamin B complex. There is some in NutriDrench, but B6 won’t help. I would be tempted to treat for splay legs, give the riboflavin, and make a shoe out of tape on the bottom and rop of the foot with the toes in normal position. Here is a picture:

https://static-blog.mypetchicken.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/flattened-foot.jpg

Thanks for the info.
Where can I get riboflavin or B2? CVS?

I have tried the toe with paper tape, but after removing the tape, the toes went back to the curled position. Maybe it will be different if I have the riboflavin....hopefully.

Right now, I have twisty ties around his ankles to keep his feet together to treat for splay legs.
thanks!

It is easiest to use human super B complex. It has B2 and all other B vitamins. Crush a 1/4 to half a tablet, and sprinkle on food or give ina little water. Any drug store or even grocery stores may have it. Here is a link:
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/n...MbnF-We7QY-bPnI6h2b7PW6OFyoep_jRoCT3QQAvD_BwE

I like to use strips of vet wrap, a bandaid cut lengthwise, or tape to make a hobble.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zx6wf80_KLc/T3jDvrJVMRI/AAAAAAAACTg/ueSbzPhGpG8/s400/DSC05104+(2).JPG

Thank you very much. I appreciate the help. Going to try the vitamin B complex.

I tried the Band-Aids and vet tape, but the chick manages to get out of it. S/he is a strong one. In the very early days, s/he was weak and wasn't even eatting or drinking much so now that s/he has seem to be eatting and drinking more, I really want to try everything I can to help it.

Wish me luck. Gave some B-complex sprinkled on food. Retied legs together and taped up foot.

How often should I give B-complex?

Attachments

• 20200807_191154.jpg
    20200807_191154.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200807_191227.jpg
    20200807_191227.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom