2 week old chick with broken leg

Lesler5

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 22, 2011
One of my chicks appears to have a leg broken at the hock joint. I have splinted it, hoping that it may at least fuse together.
Is this wrong? I can't bear to kill the poor little thing. It is peeping like crazy. I have it separated from the others now in a box. I have offered her chick feed and yogurt but understandably she doesn't want to eat. How can I get her eating? Is there anything you can give for pain? I feel awful. Vet is coming for horse tomorrow so can euthanize her if keeping her isnt a viable option.
Any opinions??

No, No! Don't kill it!
Put it back with the others, so she'll calm down. Ask the vet to look at your splint, make sure you did it correctly and give it some baby aspirin if you want to, but don't stress. One of my chicks went under the gate just as my DH closed it a few weeks ago. Got her leg crushed. Very badly... He bandaged it and we just left her with the bandage for awhile. You should see her running around now! She hobbles a bit when she walks, but otherwise she's fine.

Thanks I will try her bck with the others although they are 1 to 3 weeks older (mixed bunch)

i had a chickie who did the same thing, well we picked her up from TSC like that and i work at a vets office to i took her in and we splinted it with a paperclip, medical tap and vet wrap. it seemed to work for about a week but then once she started to grow her hip started dislocating shen she walked because the splint kept her knee and lower leg completely still and i guess her hip couldnt handle all the weight without the flexing limb and she was in pain so we ended up putting her to sleep. i hope your chickie turns out like sumi's did! i just thought id share what happened to me. good luck to her!!
fl.gif

We only used a splint on this one because it was such a bad break. Previous experience we had the chick's leg healed very quickly. I think you should remove the splint after a week, maybe a bit longer. I can't remember exactly how long my first broken-leg-chick took to recover completely, but it was quick. And more than a year ago!
If I remember correctly I read on here it takes 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom