2 week old chick with white cream bellow vent

BantamAshley

Songster
Mar 6, 2018
Syracuse, NY
I have a 2 week old seabright who until today has been thriving well.
He has been chirping his head off all day, appearing to be in distress. He also has a soft white creamy substance bellow his vent. It is easy to wipe clean, butt comes right back. He has had more loose stools than usual. And appears wet around his bum.
Could this be a yeast involvement already?
Yesterday I did also switch them to the nipple vs regular water feeder, which I have seen it use, but am concerned he is maybe getting dehydrated out of stubbornness in not wanting to use it as often as he needs. The other chicks are fine and getting plenty of water, I have confirmed that the nipple is dispensing water normally. I have added probiotics, and ACV to the water. And put a minimal amount of coconut oil to his bum. But I’m concerned that it could be something else.
Do any of the pros recognize what this may be?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 228EFB11-3744-4CE6-AB1E-3F502F59D69B.jpeg
    228EFB11-3744-4CE6-AB1E-3F502F59D69B.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 31
The white could be just normal urates that are excreted with their poo. It may just be stuck to his butt. Is it acting normally? Growing okay?

My best advice would be to observe. Make sure it is drinking, eating and pooping normally. If all seems well, it may just be a blip in the system. Keep us posted on your findings. :D

SO now he is still wanting to eat a ton, his crop has cleared, but his bum is really wet and moist. Almost as if his bum is seeping. He has had a few little stools. Though he is acting almost drunk. He is a weaker than normal, and doesn’t have his usual dexterity. His abdomen feels very swollen and mushy compared to any of the others. I think he might have an obstruction. I have given him a few gulps of a 50/50 yogurt/water mixture. And a tiny bit of olive oil. He suddenly seems reluctant to drink after eating. I have taken away his food for now.

I did. It’s the darndest thing.
Last night he was unable to walk, and his wings were limp. I though for sure he was a loss, but I made one last attempt to clear him by soaking his bum in warm water for 10 minutes. He had a massive stool shortly after. This morning when I woke up, he is acting normal, like nothing ever happened. Eating and drinking like always. I think he must have been constipated ‍♀️
His bum does look red now, and seems to have a tiny tear, and the oozing isn’t totally gone, but he’s not pecking at it, and it doesn’t look chaffed. The surrounding skin is also looking much dryer. So maybe he will pull through. Thank god for olive oil, coconut oil, yogurt, butt soaks, and plain old luck.

Attachments

• EB3D09F5-8AFF-422C-8F84-93F1A03BF789.jpeg
    EB3D09F5-8AFF-422C-8F84-93F1A03BF789.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 16
I did. It’s the darndest thing.
Last night he was unable to walk, and his wings were limp. I though for sure he was a loss, but I made one last attempt to clear him by soaking his bum in warm water for 10 minutes. He had a massive stool shortly after. This morning when I woke up, he is acting normal, like nothing ever happened. Eating and drinking like always. I think he must have been constipated ‍♀️
His bum does look red now, and seems to have a tiny tear, and the oozing isn’t totally gone, but he’s not pecking at it, and it doesn’t look chaffed. The surrounding skin is also looking much dryer. So maybe he will pull through. Thank god for olive oil, coconut oil, yogurt, butt soaks, and plain old luck.

Oops I attached the wrong photo. Here is his butt soak which he found strangely delightful.

Attachments

• 33CAAD84-8286-4882-A6D8-7C77590444C8.jpeg
    33CAAD84-8286-4882-A6D8-7C77590444C8.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom