2 week old chicks - can I remove the heat lamp completely?

redvespa90

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
I've had Bunny, Martha, and June now for about a week - and I've had them underneath a heat lamp the entire time, turning it off during the warmest part of the day (today is supposed to be 80!) Practically the entire time they huddle up as far away as they can get from the light, and act fairly lethargic. BUT when I do turn it off for an hour or so, they hop up and start peeping and running around - scratching, pecking, and drinking like happy little chicks.

Can I completely remove the heat lamp? Or should I just raise it up REALLY high?

I'd listen to the chicks. I'd turn it off during the day with these warm days, but I'd have to check on them in the middle of the night to be sure they didn't get too cool.

With my last batch, I turned the light off at 3 weeks -- and they were in the coop. The area was large enough they could get away form the heat completely, and they were even avoiding it at night. I don't remember exactly what the temps were at the time, but it was spring and definitely going below 70 at night. I tend to think that once they get some feathers on them, it's easy to keep them too warm -- they probably need that 90 degrees when recovering from shipping stress at 2 or 3 days, but I do believe they do better if the temp is dropped more than 5 degrees a week after that. JMO.

Tennessee weather is supposed to be unseasonably high the next two weeks. I'm in the Nashville area, and last night I turned off the heat lamp completely - and I have two week olds in the brooder. I'll watch them carefully, but they were always staying far away from the heat lamp anyway. So I think they'll be fine. If they start huddling together, then they're probably cold. Just keep an eye on them.

I should also mention that the chicks are inside my house, and we keep our house at 70 degrees.

As for getting up in the middle of the night, that won't be a problem since I have a 6 month old, and am usually up at night anyways. =)

Tennessee weather is supposed to be unseasonably high the next two weeks. I'm in the Nashville area, and last night I turned off the heat lamp completely - and I have two week olds in the brooder. I'll watch them carefully, but they were always staying far away from the heat lamp anyway. So I think they'll be fine. If they start huddling together, then they're probably cold. Just keep an eye on them.

Carol - where are you around Nashville? I moved to Chattanooga from Springfield TN about 3 years ago. =)

IN that case (chickens are in a house kept at 70 degrees), I'd remove the heat lamp entirely. Then watch and listen to them. They will let you know quickly if they become too cold. :)

Just saw your question - I'm in Franklin, TN - it's SW of Nashville. We go through Chattanooga frequently visiting family in north Georgia.

Last edited:
IN that case (chickens are in a house kept at 70 degrees), I'd remove the heat lamp entirely. Then watch and listen to them. They will let you know quickly if they become too cold. :)

Just saw your question - I'm in Franklin, TN - it's SW of Nashville. We go through Chattanooga frequently visiting family in north Georgia.

Thanks so much! I turned it off and they are peep peeping up a storm (but not in a high, shrill way, but in a cute contented way) It always make my dog run over to see them.

Franklin is an awesome place! I technically live in Rossville, GA - but no one knows where that is, so I just generalize to Chattanooga - much as you generalize to Nashville. =)

Back
Top Bottom