2 week old chicks shaking their heads. Newbie needs help.

Katehodges2

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Just over 2 weeks old. 5 chicks, 2 BR, 3 RIR. They are all growing visibly and getting feathers.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Quick head shake. Occasional scraping beak sideways on the floor of the brooder One sometimes cranes her neck and opens her mouth.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Started yesterday afternoon.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? 4 of the 5 chicks are doing the head shake. The one who was craning her neck occasionally yesterday is not doing that this afternoon.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
The only difference is that I gave them 1/2 of a hard-boiled egg, mashed up each of the last two days, and some grit from outside.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. All are eating and drinking normally.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
they are all pooping normally.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
nothing.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
home treatment only.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
n/a
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
pine shavings.

They have only been inside since they're still very young. They are in a kiddie pool with about 1 inch of pine shavings. They love to run around, scratch, jump up on sticks, challenge each other. They are lively and active. The only peculiar behavior is the head shake. And the craning neck and opening beak from yesterday (that happened after their egg treat. And they're preening their fuzz off, so I assumed that was just cleaning her throat.) I have tried listening to their breathing, but I don't hear anything. I tried to feel for the crop of the one bird last night, and I didn't feel anything. This is first experience with chickens, but I was feeling in the correct area based on the charts and diagrams here.

I just noticed another one doing the craning neck and opening beak move, now before they all laid down for a snooze.

Is it respiratory?

i forgot to mention that I brought two sticks in from the yard for them to roost on instead of their water and food containers.

Not medicated feed. They were vaccinated at Meyers before being picked up.
i read that the medicated feed can negate the benefit of the vaccinations.

They had electrolytes added to their water until 3 days ago when I used up the packets that I originally bought.

Medicated feed contains Amprolium. This is for coccidiosis, which can run rampant in chicks. It loves the moisture and lives in thier droppings. I would go to a feed store and get some Corrodid (powder form of Amprolium) But that is the only thing that is added to the medicated feed. What were they vaccinated for?

They have access to water at all times? sometimes people see a chick "gasp" for air and get worried, but sometimes, the chick is just thirsty. I would definitely switch them to medicated feed.

They do. I just went to the feed store and observed the same behavior in their older chicks. Apparently it's normal. Having no experience with chickens, I'm unfamiliar with what is normal and abnormal. :)

Back
Top Bottom