2 week old chicks..?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kittykorat, Sep 16, 2009.

1. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    I'm a first time chicken mama.
    My 2 week old chicks are really scraggly looking. I guess that is normal? Their feathers are coming in, but they still have fuzz and they are really funny looking at the moment. They flap their wings and fuzz flies everywhere. They used to be really cuddly, but now they are a somewhat skiddish.. I pick them up and they flap their wings and try to get back into the brooder....
    I have 4 EE, 1 austrolorpe, One GLW, one white rock. The EE's seem to be the friendliest of the bunch.

2. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Thats normal, just keep handling them everyday as much as you can. I found when I picked mine up then walked away with them they wouldn't sit there and freak out to get back in. [​IMG] They do start looking all straggly and messy when there new feathers start coming in, thats ok.

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Yep that is the scruffy stage. They take a while to feather out. Mine are 7 weeks old and some are not fully feathered yet. It seems the more you mess with them the friendlier they get. Some may always be less friendly. I had a brown leghorn that wasn't unfriendly just really skittish. Good luck and enjoy your peeps. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    I held and cuddled mine for 15 minutes twice a day- and they get used to it. Now out in the run they come running up to me when I come in, and jump up to sit on my lap or perch on my shoulder. I think the time spent holding them, even against their will, really payed off. At 7 weeks old just one still has some fuzz on her head. Be patient- your lovin' will be returned soon.

5. rachelbinnc

rachelbinnc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have a bunch of 2-week-olds too. They are definitely starting to look like scruffy dinosaur vultures. I have one who is really sweet and will walk right up onto my hand. I have about 4 more who are super curious but less friendly -- when I open the brooder door they come running over but then scurry away when I reach my hand in. I'm working on them every day and hope that at least half of my nine will be super friendly girls when they grow up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by