2 week old chicks

travisbull

Hatching
May 1, 2015
Atlanta
Hi. I let them out of their brooder at least once a day, under close supervision for just a few minutes. I'm having a hard time getting them back in. I've read to start associating those commands with dried mealworms. When can I start that?

Let them out in a smaller area, like a bathroom? I'd wait a few more weeks before feeding mealworms. Let them be baby chicks awhile longer. Welcome to the flock.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree with drumstick diva about letting them out somewhere smaller. Getting them more used to you too really helps when it comes back to rounding them up. I don't start giving mine any treats untill they are at least 4 weeks old. Untill then they only have chick crumb this way I know they are getting all they need for a good start with nutrition.

Good luck with your chicks and enjoy BYC :frow

Good morning and welcome to BYC!

@drumstick diva and @Yorkshire coop have given you some great advice already so I'll just say hello and hope you're enjoying your chicks.

Nice to have you join us!

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you have joined us.

I assume you are letting them out of the brooder because you want to, but want to make sure you know you don't have to at this age. Whenever or wherever you do so, make sure the area is confined enough to control them. Mine were happily brooder bound until 4 weeks old. Then, I used an outgrown plastic bin with wire lid to transport mine for day trips to their future coop/ run. Carried only 2-3 at a time. Could not have managed even my small flock of 6 in one transport. Before that I had seen photos of people carrying theirs in open baskets, mine would have jumped and run wild if I had tried that :)

I agree they should be several weeks old before any treats but when you do decide to try them, make sure you also have chick grit available.

Back
Top Bottom