2 week old courtaix with scissor/crossbeak

As long as he's eating well, you can give him a chance. I certainly wouldn't breed him, but he might make a fine pet.

@Sammi_0411 I have a confession to make. I often skip your posts because, while I can make sense of them, the lack of spelling, grammar, and punctuation make me have to read them 2 or 3 times to do so.

:oops:

One of my chickens has a crossed beak and an eye injury. She was a rescue from a hatchery along with another one with an eye deformity. I do have to give her a little extra attention to make sure she's eating food, but other than that she's fine.

We have a coturnix hen who, as a young one, must've injured her neck somehow. She walks with her head turned to one side and has learnt to navigate the world in that position. I was worried initially that she wouldn't cope, but they are incredibly tough little birds.

If you don't mind the bit of extra effort your bird will need, and if it seems to be coping ok, then I don't see any reason to cull it. You could ferment his food as a thick mash texture might be easier for him to eat than crumbles perhaps?

Hey so i hatched two weeks ago and one my gals has scissor beak she can eat and drink well good size etc i decided to keep her as i knowi can give her the time and care when it says about trimming their beak when would i need to do that will i need to do that if she carrys on eating and drinking okay tia
Sam xx
I’m late to this, but I have a scissorbeak too! (Scarface is her name.) in my experience, if I have a rock in the cage she does pretty well chipping it by herself when it gets too long. I have a wider, shallow bowl I use for her feed so she can access it more easily and it takes her a little longer to eat but she does well. She also uses a bowl to drink as she can’t use the water pipe. If you just make sure they have access to feed, they work out just fine! Had boiled eggs and softer feeds work well for supplementation as well.

Back
Top Bottom