2 week old poult acting 'crazy'

What kind of wood is the box? If its OSB, it may have gotten some of the glue in its system from it, I had it happen about 10 years ago and they act funny, all were different symptoms and lost half the flock till the vet figured it out. Also outside temp will make them sick if its below 75 to 80 degrees and a breeze is pressent. Flooring in the pen should be wood chips to or they will eat it, trukeys will eat just about anything.

Well, I think is was a bug bite.
hmm.png

He's back to normal behavior, the back of his neck is a little swollen and scabbed over and looks like a bug bite to me. Since cleaning out the box and laying down the thick layer of DE I haven't had any other problems with any of them. Yesterday another one started acting like he got bit too, so I grabbed him up and fluffed out all his neck feathers to dislodge any biting insect that might have been in there. He got a lovely massage out of the whole ordeal. He fell asleep while I was doing it.
wink.png
Seemed to be fine afterwards.

The box is not OSB, or any kind of pressed board that I can tell, it was a shipping crate in it's former life. Good to know about the glue thing though for future reference. If they started dropping now I would be beyond saddened.

Thank you all for letting me worry out loud here! :D I am so glad it wasn't something worse.

Well, I think is was a bug bite. :/
He's back to normal behavior, the back of his neck is a little swollen and scabbed over and looks like a bug bite to me. Since cleaning out the box and laying down the thick layer of DE I haven't had any other problems with any of them. Yesterday another one started acting like he got bit too, so I grabbed him up and fluffed out all his neck feathers to dislodge any biting insect that might have been in there. He got a lovely massage out of the whole ordeal. He fell asleep while I was doing it. ;)  Seemed to be fine afterwards.

The box is not OSB, or any kind of pressed board that I can tell, it was a shipping crate in it's former life. Good to know about the glue thing though for future reference. If they started dropping now I would be beyond saddened.

Thank you all for letting me worry out loud here! :D I am so glad it wasn't something worse.

Glad to hear that he is back to normal! :ya

Back
Top Bottom