2 week old RIR and pine shavings

pne123

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
We put our 2 week old chicks on pine shavings instead of paper towels. Are they really dumb enough to eat the shavings? They picked at them cuz they were new but it did not look like they were eating them. We have one that was flapping around in the shavings. It looked like it could not get up. I think it was just giving it's self a "dirt" bath in the shavings. What do you think? I need to put the wife's mind at easy.

HI and
welcome-byc.gif

As for the shavings, I have never had a problem with putting day olds on shavings. They may poke and peck at them because they are something new and with everyone running around on them it makes them "move". I have decided that chicks have no attention span and its like a shiny object to a child. In regards to the flapping in the shavings, they are simulating a "dirt" bath and there is nothing to worry about. It is how they keep themselves clean. Do be aware that a couple people have posted about their chicks eating the shavings and having crop problems but it is very few and far between. If you or your wife are really concerned they make pellet bedding that will expand when it gets wet. I have no personal experiance with this product so i cant give you any more information then that. Good luck and God Bless

welcome-byc.gif

4942_picture_861.jpg

I have raised all of my chicks in this wire brooder. There are catch trays under the brooder with shavings in it to catch the poop. Also there is a tray in the brooder with pine shavings in it for the chicks to scratch, peck in and sleep in. The water and feed stays clean. I have never had any problems with their feet going through the wire and they grow so fast.

Mine are 10 weeks and still occasionally eat shavings. Along with a lot of other stuff in their yard that is probably not nutritious. But they do seem to eat mostly chick feed. They are not real bright!

mine were about 2 weeks when we introduced pine shavings from paper towels... (actually for a few days to a week i mixed paper towels pieces in with the shavings, then when straight to all shavings) they pecked at it at first, although it didn't really appear that they were ingesting it... they're about a month now and are doing just fine!

Back
Top Bottom