2 week old wheaten marans, feathering in make it female please?

kie4

Songster
Jul 21, 2016
Malvern, PA
My Coop
My Coop
97D26B94-F79B-4385-91BE-871687197197.jpeg
D5A3744C-AAF9-4FF6-A613-F4C03BC4E023.jpeg
2 week old wheaten marans, feathering in male or female please?

Or too early to tell?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The true test will be to see if their breast plumage comes in black (male trait), or light blonde. :) So far, nothing is pointing to cockerel on any of your babies, but time will tell.

They're simply lovely! :love Where did you get them?

~Alex

Thanks, they are from eggs bought on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-3-Extra-...888190?hash=item3b20b64b3e:g:w3kAAOSwfRdZG0ol
The seller is cedarhillmarans and posts eggs every week

Item location:
Williamsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Ships to:
United States

We had a Wheaten Marans chick shipped from Sandhill that died, and since then we've always wanted to replace her. cedarhillmarans shipped 12 eggs, 7 went viable after 7 days, 3 hatched on day 21, and 4 were fully developed and didn't pip.

Too early. Once the breast feathers come in, you should be able to tell. The males will have some black or partly black feathers at the breast, while the female breast feathers will be pale, wheaten colored.
@JedJackson Thanks! I'll give it 2 more weeks and then examine the breast feathers for black/brown. All 3 look quite similar right now.

Thanks, they are from eggs bought on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-3-Extra-...888190?hash=item3b20b64b3e:g:w3kAAOSwfRdZG0ol
The seller is cedarhillmarans and posts eggs every week

Item location:
Williamsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Ships to:
United States

We had a Wheaten Marans chick shipped from Sandhill that died, and since then we've always wanted to replace her. cedarhillmarans shipped 12 eggs, 7 went viable after 7 days, 3 hatched on day 21, and 4 were fully developed and didn't pip.
Gorgeous birds, and equally gorgeous eggs from which they hatch. :love Really appreciate the link! I'm a sucker for Wheaten Marans (or Marans in general!) since raising my first two early this year. Truly an underrated breed.

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom