2 weeks of integration and they still don't get along!

crawfordmama

Songster
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
The Lakes Region, NH
It's been 2 weeks and 2 days since I put my 4 BSLs in with my 2 EEs, and the pecking order is barely better than in was the first day. The BSLs are still chasing and pecking aggressively, making life miserable for the EEs, and stressing me out! It's not just one BSL that's doing it - thay all are. There's no blood, but lots of lost feathers and yelping. The EEs don't fight back, they just take it (one is a cockerel). I can tell they want to be part of the "chicken gang", because shortly after they get chased away, they catch their breath and try to go back. They spent at least 30 days separated by fencing so they could get used to each other. They are all similar in size. They free-range all day on an acre, and sleep together at night, on 2 different roosts. During the day, I leave the coop and run open in case someone needs some quiet time. I've tried treats as a distraction, but the EEs just get bullied out of the mix. I've tried letting both EEs interact with just 1 BSL at a time, but that's not much better. I've noticed some pecking order issues within the BSL group. There has been lots of chest bumping, even amongst "buddies". I've read that it typically takes anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks. Is there anything else I can do to make things better? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

give it some more time.... they will probably always be on the bottom of the pecking order.

The only thing I can think of would be to spoil the EEs. give them canned tuna, extra vitamins.

Make them super chickens....

Quote:
I can picture them running around the yard with capes on!

I've been telling the BSLs to be nice to my roo now, because if not, he might not be so nice to them later on...

I know how you feel. I put my Dominique in a pen with two black sex link and two rir hens and they still give the Dom heck. I feel so bad for it(not sure hen or roo) and they've been together months. But there's about a years difference between the youngest and the dom. They still don't let it eat in peace. I'm still hoping they can get along.

Most of my chickens sleep on the roost. The three youngest mutts, who are now full size and were raised right in the coop by a mama, were never accepted by the group, and have found a roost elsewhere in the coop. I removed one article they were roosting on and they just found another. Then there is my older BO hen who sleeps alone on a shelf. During the day, the three youngest are usually off by themselves, and the rest sometimes stay together and sometimes break up into groups. Some of these birds are about 2.5 years old. I often see mild pecking or chasing, but no one ever draws blood. They jostle for a spot on the roost, of course, even knocking one off now and then.

You did a good job of introducing. I agree with Mahroni, singling out the EE's for treats might help; at least you will feel better. But in the end, if they aren't drawing blood, you may have to let nature take its course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom