2-year-old Hen pooping an alarming amount of blood

Hi all, sad news… I put Sprinkle to sleep this morning. She was not improving. Her crop wasn’t emptying at all and she was continuing to poop what looked like blood, presumably becoming more anemic every day. She was dehydrated and probably starving, barely able to stand. I assume she had some terminal illness, and I thought it was kinder to let her go rather than let nature take its course.

As a last-ditch effort, against advice, I tried to make her vomit the contents of her crop. It was a bad idea. I had her tipped over for no more than 2 seconds and I think she aspirated immediately. She spent the rest of her time wheezing and making “drinking” movements with her beak. I assume she would have developed pneumonia or some kind of respiratory infection if she lived longer. I do not recommend it. Maybe I could have emptied her crop another way, but even if vomiting worked, I would probably just be prolonging her suffering from whatever was wrong internally.

I will not be doing a necropsy.. I apologize for the lack of answers/closure. Thanks so much to everyone who read and offered advice, I appreciate your kindness.

R.I.P. Sprink. 💔

View attachment 3548059
I'm so sorry, sending warm hugs!

Back
Top Bottom