2+ year old Lav Orpington still laying small eggs

hatchaholic979

Hatching
Apr 17, 2023
I have a small group of hens that I started out my chicken hobby with about 2.5 years ago. 2 Lavender Orpingtons and 2 Easter eggers. All but one of these hens lays good sized eggs. Just one of the Orpingtons.. she still lays small eggs the size of a hens normal first egg and it always has a heavy bloom. Is this a common thing in Orpingtons? Or did I just get a hen that lays bantam sized eggs? Lol

Orpingtons lay medium to large size eggs depending on the line and size of the Orpington. If your hen is still laying bantam sized eggs then she has a reproductive glitch going on. As for the heavy bloom, is it bloom for sure or could it be calcium deposits?

:welcome

Are you certain that she's an Orpington? Where did you get her? Do you know of any internal health issues?

I've seen some hens lay smaller eggs than others, but my Orpingtons always laid an egg bigger than their first egg, at least over time, that is. I have had other breeds lay pullet-sized eggs all their lives,but that could have been a result of breed.

Orpingtons lay medium to large size eggs depending on the line and size of the Orpington. If your hen is still laying bantam sized eggs then she has a reproductive glitch going on. As for the heavy bloom, is it bloom for sure or could it be calcium deposits?
It is bloom in my opinion. Her eggs are always smooth as can be, pale pink in appearance but when run under water they turn light brown.

Thank you for the reproductive glitch suggestion! Do you think it could be anything that affects her health in the long run?

:welcome

Are you certain that she's an Orpington? Where did you get her? Do you know of any internal health issues?

I've seen some hens lay smaller eggs than others, but my Orpingtons always laid an egg bigger than their first egg, at least over time, that is. I have had other breeds lay pullet-sized eggs all their lives,but that could have been a result of breed.
I mean I assume she is an Orpington, but I am no expert lol she looks just like the Orpington sister she has who lays a good sized egg. And any pictures I look up of lav. Orpingtons look just like her. They were ordered from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries, and I do not know of any internal health issues.

Back
Top Bottom