2 Year Old RIR Off Balance (drunk chicken)

jsdoms

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Hi- I have a 2 year old RIR hen that has been off balance and walks drunk. I have separated her from flock. She is eating and drinking. Poop looks good. I am leaning towards an inner ear infection or a vitamin definancy. It has been very damp and rainy here in NC. Any thoughts or suggestions??

Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently? Does she sit down a lot, or limp or drag a leg? I tend to think of Mareks disease when there is a balance issue, but it usually is because one leg may be weak or paralyzed. Older hens can suffer from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis, which can sometimes cause the to walk oddly or sit down a lot. Has she lost weight, or does she have any swwelling in her lower belly? Treating with vitamins is a good thing, and won't harm her. With wet conditions, mold can sometimes be a problem which can cause aspergillosis. Usually there is some respiratory distress such as silent gasping, but it can also cause neurological symptoms.

No new chickens have been added. I thought maybe it Marek's but she isn't getting any worse. My husband let her out by accident today and she ran. She walks and runs good, but crooked.

Back
Top Bottom