2 year olds getting a new home

16% is ok...if molting you are doing well adding more protein. I buy a bag of Calf Manna, and just throw out a handful around twice a week. If they were molting, I would do three times a week. Also, scrambled eggs are great for them. The cracked corn..not needed so much during the warm months..save it for the winter! Unless..you are living in Texas, or AZ...?? :p Somewhere warm. Then I would give it to them once in a while for something to scratch up. Sounds like you are giving them a good enough diet without the cracked corn. It get cold here in the winter, they get the scratch, and..they get a can of corn every now and again. Helps keep the fat on them..and warm. :)

I ended up rehome the 4 EE's. They were way too agressive for my liking for my kids. I also found out their beaks were trimmed really short.

I found a local lady who was selling English Black Orpingtons. I bought 3 girls at 14 weeks old. They looks so healthy! I was even told when they were hatched (JUNE 5 and 6). They are now about 20 weeks old and they are some big girls! Very gentle and docile with my kids. I let them free range in the backyard when I am home. I've noticed that they like to flock together ever where.

I've noticed that they are starting to lay together. Don't know if that is a sign they are getting closer to POL or not, but I have noticed that one of the girls has a bigger and redder waddle and comb. The other two still have smaller and pink waddle and comb. So hoping that she is closer to laying.

Will they lay this winter in Iowa climate this year? I've heard that is going to be a hard winter.

I ended up rehome the 4 EE's. They were way too agressive for my liking for my kids. I also found out their beaks were trimmed really short.

I found a local lady who was selling English Black Orpingtons. I bought 3 girls at 14 weeks old. They looks so healthy! I was even told when they were hatched (JUNE 5 and 6). They are now about 20 weeks old and they are some big girls! Very gentle and docile with my kids. I let them free range in the backyard when I am home. I've noticed that they like to flock together ever where.

I've noticed that they are starting to lay together. Don't know if that is a sign they are getting closer to POL or not, but I have noticed that one of the girls has a bigger and redder waddle and comb. The other two still have smaller and pink waddle and comb. So hoping that she is closer to laying.

Orpingtons are a great breed for children. Our children and granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) made lap pets of our Orpingtons.

Will they lay this winter in Iowa climate this year? I've heard that is going to be a hard winter.

Orpingtons are among the better winter layers and you should get eggs from them if they have adequate light since light striking their pineal glands is what stimulates them to lay. The biggest problem with winter laying is not the cold, but the shortened days and the reduction in light. You can put some supplemental light in their coop to aid them in laying, but if you do put it on a timer so that it comes on a short time before sunrise and goes off before the hens return to the coop at sunset. If the light remains on after sunset it will mess up their roosting cycle.

Back
Top Bottom