2 years old.. done laying??

TerriChad2020

Chirping
Jul 13, 2022
I have a chicken that is just about 2 years old. She was a good layer, lays throughout the winter and all. This past winter it seemed as though she started molting in late fall yet still laying consistantly.. 4-6 large white eggs weekly. Id say in the warm couple weeks of February she had finally finished her molt. Her feathers were back to being all beautiful and her comb became very bright as it had dulled slightly in the winter months. During those warm green days my bantams all stayed laying and have been laying since but as of March Isis stopped laying. At first I thought of gosh is she egg bound nope she's. So now she's got bumblefoot.. she got it last year too and went broody last April which took about a week and a half to break but now with this bumblefoot I soaked her and it's a small one catching it pretty early but it's not quite soft enough to get out so I got her all cleaned up antibiotic cream on it and got her all wrapped up but then she was acting really weird and is now staying in the nesting box and almost seeming broody but hasn't laid since February. And then this morning I go in and there's like a yellow stain on the nesting pad and I'm beginning to worry about her. I was told that since it's been this long since she's laid last that she may be done and not to worry but this "discharge" has me worried.

Attachments

• 20240501_160429.jpg
    20240501_160429.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20240425_182942.jpg
    20240425_182942.jpg
    724.8 KB · Views: 14
Hard to know what's going on, she may be trying to come back into lay and go broody too, perhaps her hormones are a bit out of whack.

I'd see that she's eating/drinking well, check for lice/mites. Get a fecal float if possible to see if worms are an issue.

The yellow urates can indicate something going on with the liver, but could be something reproductive related too.

Hard to know what's going on, she may be trying to come back into lay and go broody too, perhaps her hormones are a bit out of whack.

I'd see that she's eating/drinking well, check for lice/mites. Get a fecal float if possible to see if worms are an issue.

The yellow urates can indicate something going on with the liver, but could be something reproductive related too.

Attachments

• 20240502_190847.jpg
    20240502_190847.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 13
So this is on her.. I just soaked her on Epson salt to take care of her bumble foot and was able to really take a look at her behind... the stuff I cleaned off of her was kinda like wettish yet crumbly yolk like. But her tummy is irritated and swollen looking ... she seemed to really like being in the warm bath I hope it helps just really trying to keep a good eye on her. I'm thinking cause of the way she's acting this is something reproductive

Oh, I see. :(

If she's not lethargic, the soaking is a good idea, if nothing else, it seems to soothe her which is always nice.

If she's acting like something reproductive is going on, perhaps she had a soft shelled egg rupture. Still really hard to know, but with a texture of yolk that is gritty, then I'd start giving Extra Calcium to see if that helps her expel any material, whether that's a membrane, shell, lash material, etc. The pill is large, a hen can swallow it whole, but if you wish, you can always 1/2 it and give it in 2 pieces.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

I'd also consider an antibiotic if you have one on hand. Amoxicillin is a good choice for reproductive infection.

Oh, I see. :(

If she's not lethargic, the soaking is a good idea, if nothing else, it seems to soothe her which is always nice.

If she's acting like something reproductive is going on, perhaps she had a soft shelled egg rupture. Still really hard to know, but with a texture of yolk that is gritty, then I'd start giving Extra Calcium to see if that helps her expel any material, whether that's a membrane, shell, lash material, etc. The pill is large, a hen can swallow it whole, but if you wish, you can always 1/2 it and give it in 2 pieces.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

I'd also consider an antibiotic if you have one on hand. Amoxicillin is a good choice for reproductive infection.
Thank you so much

Thank you so much
She took the whole pill no problem.. I had given her drops of extra vitamins last year with her bumblefoot she's actually good at taking treatments. Such a sweet girl she is. I have her in the house with me now cause it's been raining and here in jersey it got quite chilly. I'll keep her in here for the next few days or week so she can recover. Is there any antibiotic that's natural I could also give her there's not really any doctors in this area that treat chickens.

She took the whole pill no problem.. I had given her drops of extra vitamins last year with her bumblefoot she's actually good at taking treatments. Such a sweet girl she is. I have her in the house with me now cause it's been raining and here in jersey it got quite chilly. I'll keep her in here for the next few days or week so she can recover. Is there any antibiotic that's natural I could also give her there's not really any doctors in this area that treat chickens.
I'm glad she's inside and comfy.

I don't know much about natural medicine, but wish I did. I wouldn't be able to really recommend anything unfortunately.

Some meds can still be ordered online if you wish to look into those.
https://jedds.com/products/amoxicillin-10-powder?_pos=1&_sid=2d3c7fd3f&_ss=r
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/amoxicillin-25-powder-generic

So I've given her the calcium pills which she's doing great with soaking her food the bumblefoot which I still haven't been able to pull the corn out, but I'm wreaking with the triple antibiotic too. As for her vent she's still puffy very red and expelling more each day but I'm still not sure if it is from an egg or if it's vent gleet today when putting her in for her soak when I picked her up her rear end smelled like I can't even explain like sour kinda maybe doughlike is it possible to have a broken egg and gleet? I put the monistat cream on her vent just in case.

Putting the monistat on is good.

Sounds like she may have infection you think an egg did break inside of her.

As for the foot, if it's not really bad, that may be something you can address in the future?

Back
Top Bottom