2 yr old hen trouble?

slordaz

hatchaholic
5 Years
Apr 15, 2015
Idaho
2 yr old hen, she just wants to lay down and had what looked like white gel mass under her looked like maybe shelless egg but didn't even have a yolk vent area is also wet, very lethargic and off feed, is drinking water. Any ideas as I've never seen this

Already in isolation

Are you feeding a layer feed and providing extra calcium by keeping crushed oyster shell available? Has there ever been a respiratory infection with sneezing in your flock? Infectious bronchitis can affect egg shell production, casuing wrinkled or thin shells. Salpingitis infection in the ovary can cause reproductive issues with shell-less eggs. I would give 1/2 of a human calcium tablet or Tums for several days to see if it helps her shells. There may be infection if her eggs have broken inside.

They are on flock raiser with free choice Oyster shell, eggs have always been pretty hard shelled, no illness in the flock but was extremely hot to what we are used to for 3 days prior. Feed and Checked flock, she did not make it through the night

Sorry for your loss. Sometimes I do home necropsies on the abdominal organs of hens I lose, just to look at the insides to see if there is something obvious, such as egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, or other things. If you do that, take a few pictures and post them her for opinions.

deduced which hen I lost was just out of town after that, as they were all fine night before when I put them to bed, it was one that had been on nest for better part of 4 days and 3 nights, she would get off for 5-10 minutes 2-3 times a day , she had decided to sit on 9 eggs. I will see if can bring myself to do the necropsy this evening as hurting pretty bad today.

Back
Top Bottom