2 yr old Hen very sick, need advice ASAP. don't know what else to do.

Sunflower

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Berryton, KS
any help is very appreciated. I am so sad b/c one of my favorites, one of our plymouth barred rock hens is very sick. I first noticed a couple weeks ago, she had greenish poop dried up on her back side. So we took her in, cleaned her up and have been watching her. All was fine until 2 nites ago when I found her lethargic, and fluids draining from her beak.
We got her inside, in the kitchen w/ a heat light. When I held her to put her in the cage, a yellow fluid started pouring from her mouth. A lot poured out and she was gagging. I called the vet and he didn't think pneumonia, he thought maybe a sinus infection? Has anyone else had any experience with something like this?
I stayed home w/ her yesterday and gave her gatoraid, yogurt thinned w/ gatoraid, soft cat food thinned w/ gatoraid and some antibotic mixed in her water. She perked up a bit last night and ate a few bites of egg and drank gatoraid pretty good on her own. But today, I couldn't stay home and she seems back at square one. More of the nasty, stinky yellow stuff is coming out and I am wondering if this is a losing battle.

1. Stands in one place for hours
2. Eyes are closed, feathers are puffed out some.
3. When eyes are open the pupils are dilated most of the time. Sometimes she "comes back" and they go back to normal and she has interest in food, water. But then she shuts them again. She has eaten very little.
4. Is not really pooping at all.
5. Never did see any bloody poop.
6. Other 9 chickens have no symptoms.
7. Insulated 6 x 8 coop, well-ventilated, deep litter method, heated water change 2x daily, feed is layer pellets and scratch, - supplement with leftovers every other day or so.
8. Use 1 heat light while temp is under 32, added another when temp goes around 15 & under.

Thanks for taking a look and helping my Esther.

Check the forum for information about an impacted crop. I had a hen who became lethargic. Her crop was really swollen. I tried all the remedies--massaging it, apple cider vinegar in water, yogurt, holding her upside down and having her vomit it out. Sorry to say, i still lost her, but if you feel her crop and it seems really swollen or it seems like there's something in it that's stuck, that might be what's going on. Good luck.

Thanks, for your response. I don't think that is the case - I think her crop is totally empty. She has not eaten hardly a thing. = ( I'm not sure if I'm just extending her misery by forcing her to drink the little I can get her to take. = (

I am sorry that you have a sick hen as well. I don't have any advice for you either, just good wishes. I'm so new to this I can't even feel the crop on mine
smile.png

Good luck, and hang in there. I know it is hard. The one "loaner" chicken I have is a barred rock, the others are bantams, and she is my special lady. They certainly can capture one's heart.

what kind of antibotics did you give her? when she perked up a bit?most antibotics are not one dose wonders, they require several days to really help. (usually 5-10 days)

here is what I do with any sick hen,
PolyViSol (non-iron) 3-4 drops in beak (or mix with food or water) daily for 3-4 days.
OAVC 1 teaspoon to Quart of Water (refresh as necessary)
I feed moistened crumbles, with scrabbled egg. hand or syringe feed as necessary....
once antibotic treatment is done you can give small amounts of yogurt to help build the digestive system back up.
as antibotics kill good bacteria as well as the bad.

Thanks for responding!! I got some Tetramaycin (not sure on spelling) from Tractor Supply last year for another sick chicken and didn't end up using it. The vet said to try it. I have disolved 1/2 tablespoon to 1/2 gallon of water. After being prompted, she drank quite a bit of this last night, I am so happy to say.
I had to force her to eat just a couple of bites of egg and some catfood. She showed interest in the tiny millet seed in wild bird food. This morning she stood up on her own and drank the antibiotic mixture. I could not get her to eat, but left some fresh scrambled eggs and some cat food for her.
I have been researching the weird symptom of her "throwing up" the slimey yellow stuff, but can't find any answers. She did not have any of the yellow fluids today.
Last night after she took a big drink of water, she just looked at me with her dialated eye, and seemed to say, thanks Mom!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom