2 yr old not going in the hen house at night

svalentine

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Efland NC
I have a 2 yr old RIR that is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. It's been that way since early on.She's very much a loner. Sometimes she gives it as good as she gets it. But has always gone in to roost. She usually sits away from the others alone. Or sometimes in a nesting box. Also, she molted recently. So that lays the groundwork. No pun intended.
For about a week now when I go out to close up, she is on the back of the hen house on top of the egg hatch. It's pretty high up, but not out of reach from a racoon. So I have to put her in.
What to do about her? I can't leave town and expect a chicken sitter to deal with her. Also, I feel sorry for her. It's like she doesn't fit in with the others.

Oh, that's tough, I've been in that situation too. My RIR hid out in a nesting box until I re-homed the two who were picking on her, then she became the top hen. She was a wonderful leader. I wonder if someone with a flock of pullets would like your RIR?

I hear you can mail chickens? Would you like her?

I'm going to try retraining her by taking her down each night and putting her in the door she's supposed to go in and see if that helps. Maybe she's just forgotten where she should go. Ha

Oh, wish I could take her. I have a hen who can be a stinker and I'm trying to figure out what to do about her. I know, I'll ship her back to you! ;)

In my RIR's case, she definitely knew where to go, but was so traumatised by being beaten up she didn't risk it any more. If you have space for a big chicken set up, maybe find a couple pullets and set your RIR up with them. If it were me, I would either do that or find her a home with pullets. Think I'd lean toward the second option. Chicken politics can be terrible - arrghh. It's times like this when I wish I had a quiet flock of Buff Orpingtons.

I have 4 Buff Orpies. And they are anything but quiet. Oh my gosh. One's nickname is Roo, like a rooster because she is so loud. Another is Croaker, because that's how she sounds. Another is Grumpy. The only nice one of them is Downy.

I have 3 BSLs. 2 of which are just dolls. The other is a devil girl.

I have 4 RIRs. One I would keep.

I don't know anyone to re-home with.

Why do you say put the chicken with pullets?

Back
Top Bottom