2 Yr Old RIR hen needs companion(s)

26020_buffy.jpg

The "Newbies". Buffy (not very original, but it works) the Buff Orpington, and Zoey the Ameraucana.

26020_zoey.jpg

A little better shot of Zoey

26020_penny_in_her_condo.jpg

Penny being a "poop" in her chicken condo

Today is day 2 and I think we made progress. As I was sitting on a chair outside the coop, Penny wandered over into the garden and "pretended" to be looking for food. I think she was actually spying on the little ones. Baby steps, but I'm a little more confident that things will work out after the separation period is over.

Things are moving along ... Penny is showing interest and possibly calming down. Just one last question, are the pullets big enough to be put in with a full size hen or should I let them mature a little more (they seem so small). I think it will be ok, but don't want the new girls to get hurt.

Any thoughts?

I'm not the most experienced chicken keeper here so I waited to see if others responded first. I have blended young birds with old before successfully. Your babies appear to be fully feathered so they should be fine but I would keep a close eye on things at first. As long as everyone has enough space to escape. Just in case.

Good luck!!!

Thanks ... I think I agree. When the time comes, I think we'll try letting everyone free range in the yard and see how they get along. If all goes well ... out to the coop with Penny!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom