20 chickens and six eggs a day

princessloretta

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2020
Hi everyone! I bought 20 chicks this past Spring. Four Delawares, six golden sexlinks, three speckled sussex’s, four Easter Eggers, two Penedesenca’s, and one Lavender Orpington. Some were purchased in March and some in April.
So the youngest are at least six months old.
I am getting about six eggs a day right now and that’s all we have ever gotten. They do free range and I did find a huge hidden stash the other day that had about 32 eggs. I haven’t gathered the pile yet because I wanted to see how many were laying there the last couple days and I’ve gotten one from there each day since I found it.
But today, half the eggs are gone. I don’t know what happened to them or if an animal took them?
Just want to know if it’s normal for chickens that are six months+ to not be laying yet.
Thank you!

Hi everyone! I bought 20 chicks this past Spring. Four Delawares, six golden sexlinks, three speckled sussex’s, four Easter Eggers, two Penedesenca’s, and one Lavender Orpington. Some were purchased in March and some in April.
So the youngest are at least six months old.
I am getting about six eggs a day right now and that’s all we have ever gotten. They do free range and I did find a huge hidden stash the other day that had about 32 eggs. I haven’t gathered the pile yet because I wanted to see how many were laying there the last couple days and I’ve gotten one from there each day since I found it.
But today, half the eggs are gone. I don’t know what happened to them or if an animal took them?
Just want to know if it’s normal for chickens that are six months+ to not be laying yet.
Thank you!
It could be a few aren't laying yet. I'd have a dish of oyster shell available to be sure they are getting enough calcium.

It sounds like you've got a predator(s).

I would scramble those remaining eggs up though for the chickens unless they haven't been baked by the sun. I'm squeamish about that though regardless and would just scramble them for the chickens/dogs.

Here's a great article that covers pretty much every reason why chickens might not be laying. I hope it helps and I hope they start laying again!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/why-are-my-hens-not-laying.64564/

I am getting about six eggs a day right now and that’s all we have ever gotten. They do free range
You're going to need to keep them confined to habituate them to laying in the nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom