1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

-20, Here We Go Again.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Birch Run Farm, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    The temperature is plummeting rapidly here in the snowy Green Mountains. Yesterday seemed like summer with a high of +26 F degrees.

This morning I busted open three bales of pine shavings in the indoor chicken pasture (a TSC 'Garage in a Box' tent). All of the hens and pullets spent the day arranging all the shavings just 'so'. The girls were scratching and talking like life was good again. One of the araucanas laid a huge blue double yolker in the main coop where the nest boxes are.

It never ceases to amaze me that despite all the arguing chickens do, they all still really like being around each other. None of them spend the day in the wood coop, they only go in to lay eggs and then later some go there to roost for the night. The tent is the place to be during the day and with the big perch added, half the flock are now staying the night out there.

Late this morning after a hot bowl of oatmeal with home made maple syrup I went outside. The downward spiral in cold air was apparent. I had brought in some more firewood after morning coffee and it was +10. Colder now.

I finished some other chores and then I took my LGD Briar with me to snowshoe on the mountain behind my house. We had a nice time cutting trails but it was quite cold. Tomorrow everywhere we walked will be rock solid. Because of that future snowshoe trips will be much easier. My ski poles barely touch the ground if I push them all they way down into the snow.

I noticed there are no animal tracks in the snow on the mountain. Winter is bad this year, huge amounts of snow plus bitter, bitter cold. The next door neighbor keeps track of the snow totals and we have broken the January record once again (and have done so for each of the last three years). Now, as I write, it is 6 PM and it is -1 F and still sliding.

A few minutes ago I brought Ranger, my Black Giant cockerel, inside the basement to a large dog crate I picked up off CL for $20 a few weeks ago. He spent a few days in it several days ago when the first wave of bitter winter weather hit. He has a large, beautiful comb. This evening when I walked in the door with him he made the funniest noises. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I set him on the basement floor in front of the crate. He walked right in and carried on with his funny, happy sounds for a good 20 minutes. He actually sounds like a psychotic person laughing. I suspect he is liking indoor living a bit too much! It is weird to hear crowing coming from the basement now and then. It makes me laugh though.

The weather report is for at least -20 tonight with evil wind chills. I'll switch on the brooder lamp in the main coop later this evening before calling it a night. Briar will also spend the night in the basement with Ranger.

Off to throw another log in the woodstove and stir my crock pot of kielbasa and saurkraut. Mmmm, it smells so good!

I hope you all are staying warm tonight!

[​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    What part of VT are you? Do you know what colors Pats Araucana's are? he offered me eggs to hatch when they are laying again and i wondered if you had seen his before? I am really excited to see his birds. I hope its not that cold down here, I had not been paying attention to the weather, til you posted this -20 stuff [​IMG]

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I'm 6 miles out of Montpelier. Not sure what Pat has for color but do know he has bantams. He was too sick to make it to the NEPC show!

4. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats too bad, He was so excited for the show. He did tell me he has bantams. I thought all araucana were bantams [​IMG] I do prefer bantams though. I saw yours at the show, were they standard?

Did you read about Matt Dillon burning up the VT highways [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  5. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    LOL, yeah, saw that about Mr. Dillon. He was probably in a hurry to get to Killington or Mad River Glen. I am sure they will soak him for a few bucks at court.

My ara's are standards, with out tails they 'seem' smaller. There were a pair of bantams there in the juniors, back near the indie ducks. The bantams are very cute but I like bigger eggs.

I think Pat has some nice waterfowl too.

6. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    He told me he got rid of all his waterfowl. I forget why he said he did that. I did not see the bantams at the show........thats too bad because i would have loved to have an idea what to expect. I dont mind working with the smaller eggs.

I think they said Dillon was doing 106 in a 65..........sound like what you read????

7. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Yep, something like 40 over. But I feel that 65 MPH is kind of a put-put speed on an Interstate anyway.

[​IMG] Since the state is suffering poorly economically I am sure Matt will get a heck of a hefty fine. He's gonna get spanked for sure. [​IMG]

8. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    Yep- Friday was a balmy high 20's and lovely (and I was working), and it is single digits now. I do NOT want to go out and put in another hay bale for the horses. I hate making them eat hay inside.

Our house chicken is going to be bragging in the spring to all the other chickens that she spent the winter in chicken Florida!

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I saw one of my patients from Maine last Thursday (yeah she comes to see me every six months.. because her daughter still lives here) She was so happy to be in Phoenix... but she says her husband loves that cold weather and she does love the summers there so she stays.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    2 days ago it was almost 50 degrees here, opened up the coop so the peeples could go out for the first time in weeks. They took one look at the snow in the run and turned tail. Brats. This morning it was -9. I like winter and all but geessshhh...........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by