20 mins of cooling daily during incubation??

The incubator should be closed no matter what during lockdown, however it being opened periodically is up to you beforehand. A normal broody hen will get off the eggs once a day to once every two days, which may take 20 min, but such a thing to do with an incubator is not required.

I open my bator about twice a week, maybe more, just for checking things and candling.

I hand turn my eggs and candle them quite often. As you said I use that as the hen getting off the nest time. To do this on purpose just to cool the egg I wouldn't mess with. I also open my incubator during "lock down" to add water or if I hear a peep I take it out and put it to my ear to hear it. Eggs hatch fine I have never had a problem. It's just personal preference what you do.

Quote:
So you open the incubator for about 15min daily? What's your hatching rates like?

---------------

As others have said, I'm thinking this is for incubating days 1-18. I wouldn't do this on lockdown.

Interesting...

Quote:
So you open the incubator for about 15min daily? What's your hatching rates like?

---------------

As others have said, I'm thinking this is for incubating days 1-18. I wouldn't do this on lockdown.

Interesting...

I'm OK with it.
big_smile.png

Let me qualify my statement, though-I do this in a large, cabinet style incubator that regulates itself a whole lot quicker than a lot of other incubators.

Good point. Keep in mind any "cool down" period is the time the eggs are cooling AND reheating back to temp.

In my afternoon turning, I had the lid off for about 5 mins (a lot longer than normal)... as I turned and filled water and such. It took another 10 mins for the egg-o-meter to get back up to temp.

Still curious this is specifically mentioned in both a book and incubator instructions.

Back
Top Bottom