20+ pullets in one night, help identify!

digbychris

Songster
Apr 6, 2017
Hi all, terrible discovery this morning. More than 2 dozen Cornish pullets dead or missing. Very little clues. I’ve found 7 carcasses. One has intestine pulled out but no massive bite wound. Others have small either bite or talon marks on the legs. Their coop is very close to our house & we have dogs. It’s also next to hay pastures, so grass is high, making it nearly impossible to do a good search for the missing. They were either dragged or carried out of their area. I live in Indiana, north central. What could attack on that level, so many birds? Thanks for any help.

I’m sorry for your loss of so many birds!

I’m not sure, but foxes grab and stash their food. Weasels will kill many and leave them, so not likely. do you know how/where the predator entered and left the coop or enclosure?

Hi all, terrible discovery this morning. More than 2 dozen Cornish pullets dead or missing. Very little clues. I’ve found 7 carcasses. One has intestine pulled out but no massive bite wound. Others have small either bite or talon marks on the legs. Their coop is very close to our house & we have dogs. It’s also next to hay pastures, so grass is high, making it nearly impossible to do a good search for the missing. They were either dragged or carried out of their area. I live in Indiana, north central. What could attack on that level, so many birds? Thanks for any help.
Oh my goodness that's just awful! Im so sorry!

I too have lost my chickies this morning to some type of predator. 3 girls, all still in the coop. The drop door is closed tight and wired shut, the entry door is still tightly closed, (it has to be lifted up on to a catch board) though the 2 braces I also use were knocked down. 1 brace is a 2X4 that I stuck between the steps and wedged against the door. It was completely removed as if a human had picked it up and pitched it aside, the other just knocked over. But the door is still tightly shut!! There are no holes in the floor, the air vents at the ceiling have hardware cloth over them, and appear intact, there are no paw prints going up the sides of the building, the roof is metal. There are no trees or shrubs around the house. 1 hen has had her head eaten off, 1 the entrails pulled out and 1 just beaten to death but appears intact. (I haven't looked at her real close, too many tears to see by that time) I did not hear ANY noises during the night, the chicken house is only 60 ft from my house, and I had my windows open last night. I was so attached to my girls and they were so much fun. I cannot imagine what got in to my chicken house. Any suggestions (in case I decide to some day try again)? I think I am going out of the chicken business.

I too have lost my chickies this morning to some type of predator. 3 girls, all still in the coop. The drop door is closed tight and wired shut, the entry door is still tightly closed, (it has to be lifted up on to a catch board) though the 2 braces I also use were knocked down. 1 brace is a 2X4 that I stuck between the steps and wedged against the door. It was completely removed as if a human had picked it up and pitched it aside, the other just knocked over. But the door is still tightly shut!! There are no holes in the floor, the air vents at the ceiling have hardware cloth over them, and appear intact, there are no paw prints going up the sides of the building, the roof is metal. There are no trees or shrubs around the house. 1 hen has had her head eaten off, 1 the entrails pulled out and 1 just beaten to death but appears intact. (I haven't looked at her real close, too many tears to see by that time) I did not hear ANY noises during the night, the chicken house is only 60 ft from my house, and I had my windows open last night. I was so attached to my girls and they were so much fun. I cannot imagine what got in to my chicken house. Any suggestions (in case I decide to some day try again)? I think I am going out of the chicken business.
I would suspect raccoons in your case and coyotes in the OP's.

Back
Top Bottom