20 week old chicken can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gwill23, Sep 21, 2010.

1. gwill23

gwill23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    My wife notice one of the roosters on top of her one day. They are all about the same age and I thought it was odd she is still a bit young so I was watching and she was the only one the young eager roosters were mounting out of the young ones any way. Then one morning I notice she was moving very slow and limping. I left her alone until that night when I noticed she didn't even bother roosting.

I have moved her to my other coop so she is alone with food and water. I can't see where she has a broken leg or wing but she walks very slow and when she stops she stands up but on her....I guess it would be a knee. The joint in the middle of the leg where the feathers start. Also her wing goes out from time to time like she is trying to keep her balance. She will still eat corn out of my hand and she drinks water. The coop is two story with the bottom being open. I notice her going up and down it today but very slowly. Seems to make lots of cooing gurgling noices when she is up and about. Maybe could be described as more of a purr. When I mess with her legs or wings I really get no response at all.

Sometimes I wonder if she can even feel them.

I figure she will be fine in a few weeks but I just thought I would run it by everyone here. I have a short video and I'll post it when I get it uploaded.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Here is a video. It is not that great but you can see how she poops down and then looses her balance from time to time.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hi. When she did move on video her legs seemed to move as they should, it was also great to see her drinking ( she has the will to live) and I thought her color was acceptable. But, she does appear to not be feeling well. Maybe try an avian vitamin supplement for water first. I hope she gets better ,shes, pretty.

3. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    If she gets worse, then the antibiotic would be next.

4. gwill23

gwill23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    I did forget to add the breed. Her mom is a turken and her dad was a RIR (died protecting the flock)[​IMG]. I have 3 sexlinked males in that bunch and thought she was a female but when she got feathers you can tell she was the turnken's. Her feathers have a very pretty green shine to them. I suspect her mom was a bit of a cross already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by