2015 COTURNIX QUAIL THREAD!!!!!!

I incubated 21 jumbo coturnix quail. I got 18 to hatch in my little giant incubator with a computer fan in it. I was quite impressed since these were shipped eggs.

I brought 12 hatching eggs locally and got 11 babies :) so now I have 4 coturnix quail from one breeder, 5 older females from the guy I got the eggs from and 11 little babies :3

One of the older 'babies' has scissor beak :/ (she came home like that and I didn't think to look them over for it before I brought them home...) how well do you think she will do once she gets older? right now she is eating and drinking fine with no help.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm new to Quail... I just put 24 Coturnix eggs in my still air little giant incubator... it's also my first incubator hatch... i also have 36 extra hatching Coturnix eggs (anyone interested?). Any advice... help... tips... anything.... would be so welcome!

I hope I get even a small hatch rate!

I currently have 17 chicken chick due to hatch tomorrow. Then I hope to Clean the incubator and pick up some coturnix eggs locally this weekend. They free so win win for me
1f44d.png

Hi! I'm new to Quail... I just put 24 Coturnix eggs in my still air little giant incubator... it's also my first incubator hatch... i also have 36 extra hatching Coturnix eggs (anyone interested?). Any advice... help... tips... anything.... would be so welcome!

I hope I get even a small hatch rate!
99.5 degrees and ~50% humidity, turning 3x daily and then stopping day 14 and raising the humidity to 65-70% during hatching worked for me! Just had my first hatch today. Thanks to all of the folks here who helped me!

If you ever come to Columbia, SC, I might be interested in the eggs, especially if they're goldens or something.
smile.png

IMHO, your incubation temp with a still air bator should be 101. 99.5 is what I use in forced air bators. Be careful with the Little Giant. The thermostat is very sensitive and very small movements are all that is needed. Its always a good idea to have it where you want and stable a day or two before setting eggs. BTW, If you use the 99.5 as your target temp with the still air, your hatch will just be a day or so late. The only real draw back will be the last few to hatch will likely have a few curled toes. But these usually correct on their own too. Good luck.....

99.5 degrees and ~50% humidity, turning 3x daily and then stopping day 14 and raising the humidity to 65-70% during hatching worked for me! Just had my first hatch today. Thanks to all of the folks here who helped me!

If you ever come to Columbia, SC, I might be interested in the eggs, especially if they're goldens or something.
smile.png
These eggs were a gift from my aunt. Her neighbor has quail. I have no clue as to specifics... I have 36 additional hatching eggs. I have 20 in my incubator and 4 under a broody hen. I'm in central NC, so I'd be willing to meet you half way this weekend if you'd like some of the eggs... They were collected on 4.18.15. I'm flying blind here... as to everything Quail.

These eggs were a gift from my aunt. Her neighbor has quail. I have no clue as to specifics... I have 36 additional hatching eggs. I have 20 in my incubator and 4 under a broody hen. I'm in central NC, so I'd be willing to meet you half way this weekend if you'd like some of the eggs... They were collected on 4.18.15. I'm flying blind here... as to everything Quail.
They're not too difficult! If you have any questions just ask...the folks on here are very helpful. My first hatch has been these last two days! I actually am getting an order of 50 eggs from James Marie Farms in Friday so I won't have any room for them! But thanks for the offer!

Just got pen finished and am ready to get my chick's. I'm having trouble finding any coturnix. Is it still too early in the season? Anyone near abq that has extra to sell?

I just today put 24 eggs in the bator well hope some hatch what you guys and gals like to keep temp and humidity through out the cycle of hatching

Back
Top Bottom