2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

Discussion in 'Geese' started by servpolice, Jan 6, 2016.

1. jwlpoultry

jwlpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    I have a white Chinese female and a trio of toulouse would love some blue geese will 3 females be too many for 1 gander?

2. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    No for a heavy breed 3 females is perfect ;)
    Light breeds can breed with up to 8-10 while heavy breeds can only take 3-4 females.
    You should get blue goslings so.
    The blue ones are always male

3. jwlpoultry

jwlpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Right now she is with 2 pairs of Brown Chinese I will probably put her in with the Toulouse tonight she hasn't laid an egg for almost 2 weeks so how long till eggs are fertile from Toulouse male?

4. If I can find any Toulouse I would try it. My only pair were killed with the others. All I have are 3 Tufted Chinese Xs, one Tufted roman and one white Chinese.
    I totally understand about not having enough time. I've thought really hard about taking a break from all feathered friends because of no time.

5. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    You won't get blue males from brown and white Chinese so far I know instead you get pied geese (Brown and white). The question about how long till the eggs father is the toulouse I also have to find out. I do know that eggs can be still fertile up to 10 days after mating but if the toulouse does mate with her now straight away the toulouse should be the father ;)

6. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Atleast you still have a few geese left after the attack. Last year shortly after breeding season I lost a lot of my African flock to hungry foxes who most likely had kits to feed. It was horrible especially because it happened when I was working abroad.
    I did a break from them for a bit but then again I missed them too much.

7. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Hey everyone, can anyone identify these eggs for me? I increased the stream size and it's now a big river for my geese a month ago. And I've seen a lot of wildlife coming in so it could be anything. I found them in the shallow part of the stream in the cold water? I find that really strange. I'm going to incubate these two eggs for the fun of it.
    My guess is they are wild duck eggs?
    [​IMG]

Here is the size of them compared to a goose and chicken egg.

[​IMG]

8. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN

Probably a wild duck, don't know what kind of avian species you have there. Not mallard, mallards lay blue/green eggs, those are brown correct?
    Almost looks like a Shelduck egg...

9. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Could be a Wigeon egg, but a little small

10. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Thank you ;)
    Yeah first I thought they were mallard duck eggs but they are green/blue like you said.
    They are very light brown yes the first picture shows the real colour.
    They're in the incubator now so hopefully in 3 days I'll see if they are fertile.
    They are a small bit smaller then your average chicken egg.
    Now I shall research the shelduck and the wigeon.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by