2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

Thanks Iain! Unfortunately when I was at college today the gosling that was in the incubator shrink wrapped and died.
I thought it would make it but I guess mother goose cracked that egg too much.
The bright side is I've six more to come and my buff female is brooding on 10 of her eggs ;).

8 I love your goslings! They are beautiful! Really curious of the colours and that 2nd gosling is really interesting.
Love how smooth the first gosling is
1f602.png

Last edited:
Thanks Iain! Unfortunately when I was at college today the gosling that was in the incubator shrink wrapped and died.
I thought it would make it but I guess mother goose cracked that egg too much.
The bright side is I've six more to come and my buff female is brooding on 10 of her eggs ;).

8 I love your goslings! They are beautiful! Really curious of the colours and that 2nd gosling is really interesting.
Love how smooth the first gosling is
1f602.png

So sorry about your gosling! It really sucks to lose them after waiting that long for them to get here.

Thanks! I'm in love with them. I sure hope they are strong and make it to adults. They all seem very alert and active. Number 2 looks just like Stormy when she was a baby, except it may have a white neck ring, we will see I hope. As for number 1, the Chinese genetics really over took the tufted on that one, I don't see any tufted traits on him now.
My goose Ethel has went broody she has been setting since last Wednesday, she has eggs from all 3 girls under her. Fingers crossed that they hatch & I should get more colors like these from them also. I am also hoping that one of my two other girls will set soon on the other nest. I'm soooo excited to have my own goslings this year and possibly more on the way.

3 geese have internally piped
celebrate.gif
.. day 27 coming to a close. The first one that I figured would internally pip the other day still hasn't, its air cell is kinda wonky looking but I can still see it moving in there (but not within the air cell like the other three) , leaving them be and allowing nature to do her thing
fl.gif

I forgot how sweet the sound of a baby gosling can be
love.gif

Can someone describe what internal pipping looks like? I've looked and looked at the pics and it just is not clear to me what I should be looking for. (some pics look like I should see a beak poking thru...others I can't tell what I should be seeing) I've got 5 at day 25 and all are still moving (yay!)

Last edited:
The air end of the egg is smooth when candled, but once baby has its beak into the air space, a shadow appears in there. In fact, the light often startles baby into beak motion, making it easy to identify.

Both my brown african females have 2 eggs under both of them who are hatching.
I took one of the eggs from one since it was a buff gosling so it's in my incubator now.
The other egg is also a buff gosling but I always leave the mother raise atleast one.
No idea what colour the goslings are under the other African.
We'll see tomorrow or Thursday ;)

The air end of the egg is smooth when candled, but once baby has its beak into the air space, a shadow appears in there. In fact, the light often startles baby into beak motion, making it easy to identify.

Marty is right once you shine the light in the egg the gosling will move a lot.
Same if you talk to the egg

Thank you both! That helps a lot. Not sure how well this would have gone so far without you all!! (Ps my 6 yr old has been singing and talking to them
1f602.png
)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom