2021 Breed Suggestions

Blw18

Songster
Apr 16, 2020
Not sure if this is the right category to place this thread in but here goes anyway. I am looking to add another breed or two to the farm next year for breeding. This year I added liege fighters, blue wyandottes, shamo to the menagerie. Other breeds I already have are Ayam Cemani, buff laced Brahma, several varieties of Orpington, Egyptian fayoumi, BLR wyandotte, naked neck, white silkie, black langshan, and ameraucana. I’ve kept many many breeds over the years on one end of the spectrum to other so experience isn’t a factor. I’d like it to be one that sells well to help keep down the costs of feeding. Also looking for it to be a rarer breed so I can help in building numbers up. It doesn’t matter if it’s APA accepted or not. I’m also trying to steer away from bantams due to hawk predation while free-ranging but given the right breed, I might consider. I have my own candidates but I wanted to get other opinions. Thanks!

I suggeat the brabanter. I have a 5 year old that still lays a good size bright white egg 5 -6 times a week. She is a sweet girl that is very people friendly. Also great with my toddler grandkids.i dont have a rooster so i dont know thier temperament.
This is a beautiful breed that is very hard to find. I think deal poultry still sells them, but you are waitlisted.
Best wishes finding the best breed for you.

Temperament aside, Iowa Blues are a possibility. Mine are not the friendliest birds and if they free range, it's a challenge to chase them down. BUT, when the hens have escaped, they've always managed to stay alive in the great outdoors until I can round them up again.

They are fairly rare, dual purpose birds that go broody and are protective mothers. There's a legend that the first Blues were the result of (and here goes the ridiculous part) a mating between a White Leghorn hen and a scoundrel pheasant.

I suggeat the brabanter. I have a 5 year old that still lays a good size bright white egg 5 -6 times a week. She is a sweet girl that is very people friendly. Also great with my toddler grandkids.i dont have a rooster so i dont know thier temperament.
This is a beautiful breed that is very hard to find. I think deal poultry still sells them, but you are waitlisted.
Best wishes finding the best breed for you.
Thanks! I almost bought a dozen chicks a few months ago but didn’t and now I regret it. If I can come across some good quality brabanters, then they’re definitely a possibility.
Temperament aside, Iowa Blues are a possibility. Mine are not the friendliest birds and if they free range, it's a challenge to chase them down. BUT, when the hens have escaped, they've always managed to stay alive in the great outdoors until I can round them up again.

They are fairly rare, dual purpose birds that go broody and are protective mothers. There's a legend that the first Blues were the result of (and here goes the ridiculous part) a mating between a White Leghorn hen and a scoundrel pheasant.
Definitely a breed I’ve considered simply due to the history of the breed. My problem now is getting good stock. I’ve never seen Iowa blues anywhere close to where I live so I’d have to have them shipped in and I really prefer to stay away from hatchery stock. How big are yours? Thanks!!

I've had mine for more than four years and purchased a breeding trio from a farm near Carlisle, in central Iowa. I have no idea how old they were when I got them, but the two original hens are dead. One died of unknown causes after raising chicks; the other during a summer when buffalo gnats overran Iowa, and Lady Emma was a victim.

I now have my beautiful rooster, Sir Henry the Loud, and his two daughters -- which means no breeding here. Which, given my problem with chicken math, is probably a good thing.

I've had mine for more than four years and purchased a breeding trio from a farm near Carlisle, in central Iowa. I have no idea how old they were when I got them, but the two original hens are dead. One died of unknown causes after raising chicks; the other during a summer when buffalo gnats overran Iowa, and Lady Emma was a victim.

I now have my beautiful rooster, Sir Henry the Loud, and his two daughters -- which means no breeding here. Which, given my problem with chicken math, is probably a good thing.
I love the names btw😂😂. Sir Henry the Loud made me laugh😂
Dong Toe aka the Drangon Chicken. If your in the US I don't know if you can get these though.
Unfortunately I’m in the US but if they happened to be imported, I’d jump at the chance to get some!! They’re so cool!

I love the names btw😂😂. Sir Henry the Loud made me laugh😂

Unfortunately I’m in the US but if they happened to be imported, I’d jump at the chance to get some!! They’re so cool!
I know ther so cool! My mom thinks there ugly. They are hard to breed, but there is no reason to to try.

Back
Top Bottom