2021 Chick Order

Pics
Also might have gotten my first egg from one of the pullets. It's either from a bantam Cochin (either barred or my frazzle) or from my old Japanese gal I put with them. It had a small yolk when I hollowed it out, but super thick shell
20210629_100000.jpg

Thinking the egg above actually came from my japanese. She laid one other time since then (she's like 4 though and has had some slight health issues though so I'm really not surprised she's rarely laying). Haven't gotten another little egg though since then. Plus I'd be surprised a bantam Cochin started laying that early honestly.

On a sadder note, I lost the Isabella male I planned to keep. We're not sure at all what happened, we found him upside down pinned between the shed and some plywood. He was covered in his own waste and his comb and wattles were dark purple. My mom thought he was dead when she pulled him out and he started trying to move. I was washing him off, trying to get his comb and wattles to get a bit better when I realized his leg had been dislocated. We have no clue how to fix that and will not take a chicken to the vet for anything, so we ended up processing him. I've got to pick a new male though outof the remaining two.

My little silver partidge silkie Crow may have a back injury from the rabbit pan incident. I was watching today and noticed her tail is tweaked to one side slightly (I'll try to get a picture later on). She also stayed small, I don't think she's grown since then. I won't really complain if it doesn't impact her negatively, since that size might make her perfect for brooding quail eggs instead.

Gonna get some pictures of the prefab for my bresse pair and a lucky Orpington lady.

Also have 2 or 3 of my cull females going to a pet home to give company to a half blind standard pullet. My Cornish with a single comb, the (not so) runt sebright and possibly little pugsly. The gal taking them is an actual friend who's very into helping special needs animals (hence why she got the half blind bird anyways)

Hi! Couple questions for you.
1. When do hatcheries typically open buying for the next year, & if they do can you place an order for later spring? (It’s cold here & I would order for a late April delivery!)
2. How do you house so many chickens, do you keep them all?
3. Do you brood all of yours at once & put them out together or do you do it separately?
Thanks in advance!

Hi! Couple questions for you.
1. When do hatcheries typically open buying for the next year, & if they do can you place an order for later spring? (It’s cold here & I would order for a late April delivery!)
2. How do you house so many chickens, do you keep them all?
3. Do you brood all of yours at once & put them out together or do you do it separately?
Thanks in advance!

1) most are open for orders in January and start shipping late February. Each one has slightly different dates though and some allow you to place am order for the next year in december. Most commercial hatcheries allow you to place a future order, but some have the mindset of "we ship when we ship".

2)By spending a lot of money on supplies. We don't keep all the birds we buy or hatch. I try to sell off as many as I can out of the not keeping group, but I'm usually left with cockerels to process

3) Both. It's mainly whenever I can find room. Not continuing broodies (who I don't break, I just let them do their thing), I have had chicks in my house from the first week of March and still have some newer ones being brooded.

1) most are open for orders in January and start shipping late February. Each one has slightly different dates though and some allow you to place am order for the next year in december. Most commercial hatcheries allow you to place a future order, but some have the mindset of "we ship when we ship".

2)By spending a lot of money on supplies. We don't keep all the birds we buy or hatch. I try to sell off as many as I can out of the not keeping group, but I'm usually left with cockerels to process

3) Both. It's mainly whenever I can find room. Not continuing broodies (who I don't break, I just let them do their thing), I have had chicks in my house from the first week of March and still have some newer ones being brooded.
Thank you! How many outside coops/runs do you have, & how many adults do you typically keep at one time? I am getting the chicken itch & I can see my hobby growing over the years!

Thank you! How many outside coops/runs do you have, & how many adults do you typically keep at one time? I am getting the chicken itch & I can see my hobby growing over the years!
Oh goodness, give me a moment

13 runs/coops/pens currently, more on the way. As for the number of adults, that waits to be seen. I try to keep at least a pair/trio of each variety I breed, but have a few groups with more than 5 girls with a male.

Welp, this week is the first week of chicks being delivered. I've ordered from the following hatcheries with 3 seperate ship dates (darn limited supply 😅):

IDEAL 3-10
Welp 3-4
Hoovers 3-4
Murray McMurray 4-5
Dunlap 3-4

Brooders are being set up, can only hope my brinsea heaters are actually working. Lots and lots of babies, mostly st. Run, so lots and lots of guessing and praying.

I'll post what exactly was ordered in a bit, have to pull records. We'll see how correct the orders are and if we get any extras, any substitutes, packing peanuts, and what our Murray McMurray free exotic is. So far I'm betting something with feathered legs and mom is betting a white leghorn or black australorp
I’ve never ordered from a hatchery. Are they pretty good about sending what you order or is it pot luck? What condition are the chicks in?

Oh goodness, give me a moment

13 runs/coops/pens currently, more on the way. As for the number of adults, that waits to be seen. I try to keep at least a pair/trio of each variety I breed, but have a few groups with more than 5 girls with a male.
Thank you for all your info!

I’ve never ordered from a hatchery. Are they pretty good about sending what you order or is it pot luck? What condition are the chicks in?

Not the OP, but I have also ordered from hatcheries sometimes.

They usually send what I order. If there is a spot to comment, I say they can substitute if needed, and that has happened a few times but wasn't a big deal for me.

My chicks have usually arrived in good condition-- 0 to 2 dead in a box of 15 to 30 chicks, 0 to 2 more dying in the next few days.

Some other people have had much worse results. It seems to depend on weather (extreme heat or cold is bad for chicks), and the Post Office (extra days in transit are very bad for chicks. This can also be weather-related, because snowstorms slow the Post Office down too.)

It's important to have a suitable brooder set up, so the chicks can get warm and eat and drink right away. I think heat lamps are better for the first few hours, because they can eat and drink while they get warm (vs. heat plates where they have to choose one or the other.) I have also had good results with higher-than-usual temperatures in those first hours (up to 100 or 105 degrees right under the light, with food and water quite close to the light, but always with access to temperatures below 90 so they can adjust their own temperature as needed.) After a few hours, when they are warm and full of food & water, switch to normal brooding conditions (warm area 90 to 95 under the light, or use a heat plate instead, cool area available and preferably below 80 degrees, food and water still available but can be a little further from the heat.)

On the whole, chicks ship quite well, but there are always a few exceptions that are awful for the chicks and people involved.

Back
Top Bottom