2021 Chick Order

Pics
Oh my goodness last night. Story time!

Okay, so I have a breach in my pen (I think actually two spots, working today before work to patch them while I have the time). Every day this week, I've had at least one bird panicking because suddenly they were outside the pen and couldn't get back in. Usually it's someone easy, like a D'uccle or my MoonBeam, or even the freaking Naked Neck who took about 20 minutes to catch and throw back in the pen.

Until yesterday.

Mrs. Reynolds, my Rose Comb Brown Leghorn got out. The one Leghorn that I really haven't handled much because she's not a problem child or anything. Plus, she's a, you know, Leghorn.

All day long, pacing along the fence, trying to get back in and flipping out when I try to catch her to put her back. I was anxious the whole time at work that she would fall in the sheep trough trying to drink because she had missed out on the watering because she wouldn't let me catch her.

I come home, it's dark, expect her to be pacing still or huddled somewhere I can corner her. No. She's on the freaking cover net to the run because she tried to go roost with everyone.

We spend another 30 minutes trying to get her off without her snapping her neck (she kept trying to dive through the holes and then the momentum would flip her over like a gymnast on a net) before she finally, Finally seemed to just give up, perched on one of the logs in the frame, and let her get grabbed and put back.

However, she is laying, and when I've never gotten more than 3 or 4 eggs a day from this massive number of birds, that's reassuring. Pretty little white egg i promptly stuck under a brooding hen to see if it would develop.

I have learned over this year that I cannot let broodies raise my Cornish bantam chicks. I can't explain why, since I have had probably 7 broody hens (maybe 20 chicks?) try this year and not one has made it past 6 weeks. Other breeds do just fine, but the Cornish bantams only made it to sexing age when I brooded them.

Oh my goodness last night. Story time!

Okay, so I have a breach in my pen (I think actually two spots, working today before work to patch them while I have the time). Every day this week, I've had at least one bird panicking because suddenly they were outside the pen and couldn't get back in. Usually it's someone easy, like a D'uccle or my MoonBeam, or even the freaking Naked Neck who took about 20 minutes to catch and throw back in the pen.

Until yesterday.

Mrs. Reynolds, my Rose Comb Brown Leghorn got out. The one Leghorn that I really haven't handled much because she's not a problem child or anything. Plus, she's a, you know, Leghorn.

All day long, pacing along the fence, trying to get back in and flipping out when I try to catch her to put her back. I was anxious the whole time at work that she would fall in the sheep trough trying to drink because she had missed out on the watering because she wouldn't let me catch her.

I come home, it's dark, expect her to be pacing still or huddled somewhere I can corner her. No. She's on the freaking cover net to the run because she tried to go roost with everyone.

We spend another 30 minutes trying to get her off without her snapping her neck (she kept trying to dive through the holes and then the momentum would flip her over like a gymnast on a net) before she finally, Finally seemed to just give up, perched on one of the logs in the frame, and let her get grabbed and put back.

However, she is laying, and when I've never gotten more than 3 or 4 eggs a day from this massive number of birds, that's reassuring. Pretty little white egg i promptly stuck under a brooding hen to see if it would develop.

I find it easiest to have two people herd an escaped chicken into a corner -- either making a loop in the electric net (turning it off first), or, in the new setup, cornering the escapee between the net and the wall of the coop.

If your Leghorn flies like my California White, she might have been convinced to go back in if a portion of the cover was shifted so she could fly back (easier said than done depending on your particular setup.

I find it easiest to have two people herd an escaped chicken into a corner -- either making a loop in the electric net (turning it off first), or, in the new setup, cornering the escapee between the net and the wall of the coop.

If your Leghorn flies like my California White, she might have been convinced to go back in if a portion of the cover was shifted so she could fly back (easier said than done depending on your particular setup.
The cover is ziptied down, otherwise ywah, woulda tried that 😆😅

Cochin pullet stopped setting again, opening the eggs tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure they're gone. They were cold and I didn't see movement and only like one small vein. Think they were about day 18, kinda sad.

Also sad, Glenn is not making fertile eggs. I have not seen a bullseye in any bresse eggs, or development in sat eggs, and I have yet to see him breed either lately.

Also @Overo Mare , here's the neighborhood by the house. I've dubbed it 'Roo York'.
20211108_111824.jpg

Red Coop is the mixed flock: 3 Males (1 Bantam cochin mix, 1 Ameraucana mix and a Phoenix) and 13 females (2 Spizhauben, 2 Pheonix, 1 Leghorn mix, 3 Mystic Onyx?, 1 mixed color Ameraucana, 1 EE, 2 Phoenix mixes, 1 spitzhauben mix)

Grey Coop (plywood side): barred bantam Cochin trio, a Japanese hen and a black frazzled Cochin bantam

Back Brown coop: polish Quartet (Black Crested White trio and a bearded buff laced pullet)

Left front Brown coop: Bresse pair and female white Orpington

Right front Brown coop: currently housing 4 males for culling.

Back
Top Bottom