21% protein layer pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by animallover505, Mar 12, 2013.

1. We have a new feed store nearby, and they sell 21% protein layer pellets and crumble. I've been feeding 18%. Is 21% safe?

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I would feed it my birds get a 20% layer 24/7.

3. GreenMountainEric

GreenMountainEric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Vermont

What breed chicken?? Most breeds will benefit from a lower protein feed. They will also eat more 21%, than 18%. (and it will be wasted)

18% protein is the top of the range for 99% of layer diets, unless you are feeding a lot of supplemental, low protein products, in addition.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. I have 2 buff orps, a Dominique, a partridge Plymouth rock, and 5 gold comets

5. GreenMountainEric

Dec 23, 2010
    Vermont

Those are all breeds that benefit most from a "total" diet of 16-17%. By "total" diet, I mean, everything that they eat. They will eat small amounts of stuff, besides the layer ration, that will slightly lower their total diet. A 17% Layer ration would probably be best.... 18% would also be ok.

The problem with a higher protein diet, is that it will automatically be lower in energy. The energy levels, of your feed, are the most important thing for your chickens production. Over feeding protein has no benefit.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  6. My friend feeds 20% and has a huge variety of breeds. Mine get scratch and scraps, and the 18% pellets, plus free-choice grit and oyster shell. I was just wondering b/c I think it was a bit cheaper.

7. GreenMountainEric

Dec 23, 2010
    Vermont

Chances are, you are getting better "bang for your buck", with the diet that you are using. Just be careful on the amount of scratch, that you feed. Any more than they will clean up in 10-15 minutes is a waste.

8. I know. Thanks for the help!

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you got them from a hatchery 18% protein if fine for the Orps, Dominique and Rocks.
    If the Orps, Dominique and Rocks are from a breeder 18% protein would be a minimum amount I would feed. (I would feed closer to a 20 to 22% protein if they are from a breeder)

Chris

10. I think they are from a hatchery, but I'm not totally sure. I got them from my friend who has a lot of chickens. Someone gave them to her, then she gave them to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by