21 week Columbian Advice

hens4

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
HI All
I need a bit advise, we got four hens a month ago, 2 light sussex and 2 columbian black tails. The sussex have only just started laying so not always perfect yet. But the 2 columbians seem to miss a day sometimes, is this normal? i assumed i would get eggs everyday..?

Just joined the site and live in the uk. I have lots to learn, I am new to hen keeping. Many Thanks
thumbsup.gif

No chicken, not even the most productive commercial layer, lays an egg every single day. For an extremely good layer like a commercial bred white Leghorn or Red Sex Link, you might get eight or nine days of eggs and one day off. More commonly, though, with backyard chickens, expect 4-6 eggs a week depending on breed.

If it helps, think of it in terms of percentages. Divide the number of eggs you get each day by the number of hens you have. This is your "hen-day layer percentage" or "rate of lay." An *extremely good* commercial layer house rate of lay percentage is 90+% (.90). For our flock, since we keep birds that lay lovely eggs but aren't egg laying machines, a pretty good daily percentage is 77-85% depending on time of year.

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom