22 weeks and not laying yet

kmb221

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Shippensburg, PA
Hens are 22 weeks and not laying yet. Friend who gave me chickens says his are laying.

Our hens do not go into the nesting box area. They sleep outside at night on their roost. Should they be made to go in at night?

We're new at this, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes, they do need to go inside a coop at night due to predators. Try reading "Raising Chickens 101" towards the top of the forum's homepage for some quick how-to info.
big_smile.png

I have several who are 22wks old and they're not laying yet either, but don't be surprised if they don't start laying for another month since 6 mos seems to be a rough estimate as to when most hens start to lay.

Feel free to PM or email me if you have any other questions. Us newbies need all the info we can get.
smile.png

Thanks. They are secure from predators, they just do not go in their nesting area which is enclosed. We have a roost in that area too. I guess we are just being too anxious.

I have some sex links that just laid their first egg yesterday at 24 weeks! 'Bout time... I am still waiting on my ameraucanas, who are coming up on 7 months. I might have to put a light in the coop to trick them...

My buffs are 19 wks old and are not laying either, they also won't go in the coop at night. I don't know if they even know where the nest box is, thinking about taking their outside roost down. Should I? anybody got any suggestions for us.

Back
Top Bottom